From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 1994 14:54:51 MDT
I'd rather separate the reporting and the commentary

> Date: Fri, 1 Jul 94 14:42:21 MDT
> Subject: ncaa news (6/22/94)
>
> 2 ref 1 linesman supported
>       only officials who work in such a system during the seasin
>       would be selected to work the championship.  this seems to
>       mean CCHA officials will be out for '94-'95

This certainly looks like a move to put pressure on the CCHA.  I
thouught the CCHA refs did a good job at last year's final/

> express concern that the exec didn't act on their recommendation that
> championship receipts be used to cover tv production costs for
> regional games that are not offset by rights fees paid by tv stations.

right on.

> review survey on travel party size to regional and championship and
> expressed concern that reduction in party size and per diem have
> caused participating institutions to lose money.  Size in 1994 was
> 27 players, 7 {coach mgr trainor} 25 band plus administrators.  Size
> through 1993 was 40 regional and 50 champ, but exec reduced number to
> 31 effective in 1994.

it would not be prudent to comment on the quality of the bands in St.
Paul when compared with milwaukee.

> met with NCAA staff members to discuss RPI and asked staff to review
> the current system (identical to mans BB womans BB baseball & womans
> volleyball) with a mathematician to determine  whether it meets the
> needs of the committee

ah, the "fix the CC travesty" syndrome, part 1.  I'd certainly hope
they used a STATISTICIAN instead of a mathematician.

> recommend to exec that there be 2 automatic bids to each of the four
> conferences

the CC rule, part 2.  Betcha both the regular season champion and the
tourney champion make it if this passes.

> ask for proposal and cost estimates for the use of instant replay
> during the championship

I wonder what prompted that?  I certainly did not see anything even
remotely resembling controversial in the championship game this year.
Maybe they mean for ALL the playoff games.

charlie shub
[log in to unmask]  -or-  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369