From:
"David S. Wang" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 1994 02:14:32 -0400
even though all the current seemingly hard evidence points at bc and
former head coach cedorchuk, i thought the globe article was a little
too harsh and condemning. i find it hard to believe that similar goings
on (although maybe not as extreme) don't go on at other sports programs
at numerous other schools. certainly bc hockey coaches before cedorchuk
weren't able to come through with every promised scholarship either. i
think the article should have included a disclaimer stating that
cedorchuk isn't the only coach unable to fulfill promises of scholarships
and that bc isn't the only school where these things happen.

it is unfortunate that kids and their families have gotten the shaft
from an nc$$ member's sports machine, but hopefully future college
athlete-hopefuls will now be more wary until an official scholarship
form sits before them awaiting their signatures. it is also unfortunate
when another human's (or a school's) word is not a bond, but broken
verbal agreements will occur repeatedly in everyone's life.

the article made coach cedorchuk out to be one big irresponsible promiser
of scholarships, and mr gladchuk seemed very quick to dis-associate
himself from cedorchuk. the bc ad seemed to say 'those in the hockey
program did what they did on their own. i don't have the time to watch
over them 24 hrs a day. i didn't know they were doing what they were
doing until coach milbury arrived and made me aware.'   again... the
preceding '-------' is my interpretation. well, we all know this
sargeant schultz stance is gladchuk's fave, and i was glad to see one
alum come right out and say he wasn't buying it.

one last thought... is the number of scholarships offered the same as
the number available? or do programs offer a certain percentage extra
based on the fact that some players will choose to accept a scholarship
elsewhere, or turn pro, or what-have-you?

even though coach york may not have a scholarship to offer until the
incoming class of 96-97, i am sure he will turn the bc program around.
the past 2 years have severely softened me up in my view of bc. a certain
other HE team has earned the focus of my ill-will in this time! >-)

are there any bc subscribers to hockey-l?!!??

dave w
bu 91 and 94, mich 97 or 98 or BUST