From:
Paulette Dwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 1994 14:54:17 -0400
As I was packing last night, I came across an essay by
E.B. White.  It had nothing to do with Charlotte or
Stuart Little, but was rather him reminiscing about
his days at Cornell.  One paragraph in particular made
me think of the current Title IX debate.

From the essay "I'd Send My Son to Cornell", by E.B.
White '21, which was first published in _University_ in 1933:

     Some years ago at Cornell there was a great to-do
about the coeds;  a little band of supermen got together
and decided that the women would have to be segregated in
fairness to the football team, who seemed to be fumbling
the ball a good deal.  The students, both male and female,
had a whirl of a time - they wrote letters to the paper,
burned fiery crosses, and scattered broadsides in the early
morning in front of the Library.  After a while the futility
of the battle bagan to be apparent;  it was recalled by some
of the quieter elements that the segregation of the ladies
would be incompatible with the University's charter, which
stated that anybody under the sun, with proper academic
qualifications, could be a Cornellian.

End quote

Most likey, in another sixty years people will look back
on the early 90's and wonder why there was such a fuss over
an issue that had such an obvious answer.

Paulette Dwen
Cornell '89
Let's Go Red!