From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 1994 15:17:34 EST
Game two on Saturday afternoon in Providence found the Huskies able
to beat both the talented Brown Bears and the ECAC refs.  Brown showed
some wonderful individual efforts, but their lack of a team attacking
style hurt their chances.  Northeastern was able to "let it rip" as
their fast skating and passing game was online.

There was no scoring in a slow first period.  Both teams seemed very
tense.  In the second period, NU scored first on a shorthanded goal
when Rayanne Conway blocked a shot and went end to end.  The Bear's
goalie caught her hard shot, but the momentum of the play carried her
back into the net, puck and all.  Brown tied the game with a power
play goal when Joy Woog (Katie King) put in the second rebound from
right in front.  The Huskies regained the lead when Michelle Werner
(Jeanine Sobek) finished off a ton of power play pressure with a hard
shot through traffic from the the left point.  NU made it 3-1 when
Shelley Looney (Angela Scerra) made a nice whirl and fire move after
another spell of pressure on the Brown net.  In the third period
with only 21 seconds left, Scerra (Looney, Katherine Wyman) put in
a nice backhander getting a lovely cross-ice feed.  With 14 seconds
left, Brown finished the scoring when Andrea Boudreau (Chie Chie
Sakuma, Cassie Whittet) was able to hit back on a quick break in play.

The shame of the ECAC was the blatant homer calls by the referees for
Brown.  What was even more stupid about it was that it hurt the Bears.
They were playing real well 5 on 5, but seemed embarrassed by all the
power play calls.  Brown has some excellent talent.  The individual
efforts are there.  What is lacking is some attacking schemes.  I feel
they could challenge Providence for the League next season if they
develop their offense.  I thought goalie Kate Presbrey had a strong
match.  The Huskies were attacking at many angles and she hung tough.
Shannon Bryant had her usual excellent game on defense.  She is such
a powerful force on the ice.  Joy Woog had a tremendous match.  Her
efforts were almost enough to give Brown the edge they needed.  Becky
Kellar was skating well.  I was highly impressed with the smart play
of Danielle Solari.  She is a strong striker and knows how to work
a defense.  Overall the Bears had a great season.  Winning the Ivy
League and making it to the final four was wonderful.  I expect even
better things next year.

Northeastern had its game on song.  Their swooping defense and skate
and pass attack let them pull off many intelligent plays.  Shelley
Looney was on her game.  The skating, passing and stickhandling of
Looney was a treat!  Jeanine Sobek really got moving.  Some of the
plays she made on the penalty kill were extraordinary.  When she is
on, the Huskies have a higher level of skills to draw on.  Michelle
DiStefano had an excellent match in goal.  Early on, when the team
was flat, she kept them in the game with solid saves and no rebounds.
The third line of Danyel Howard, Kelly Tapani and Dori Hoagland played
big.  Their skating is what I believe eventually got to the Bears.  I
would also credit the second line of Sobek, Conway and Courtney King
with a high level of energy.  On defense I was particularly impressed
with Katherine Wyman and Bree Cheatham.  There skating and reactions
were always right on the money.  It was a great win for NU and a real
gift for those of us who like fast skating hockey.

/
 good shooting
 rhun