Sender:
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 91 12:48:35 EST
----- Begin Included Message -----
From: Kenny Zalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re:  Drop the Puck
Andrew Williams writes:
> I have always wondered why the linesman take so long to drop the puck?
>>... First of all, no players other than the two opposing centers may be
>>inside a 15 foot radius of the face-off spot (ie. inside the circle at
>>the end-zone and middle face-off spots.) ...
>>The opposing wingmen must also have 4 feet of space between them ...
>>The centers must stand squarely, facing each other, with both sticks on
>>the ice, ...
----- End Included Message -----

I don't think I've ever seen a legal face-off unless ... (see  BELOW).

First, I'm not sure I've ever seen any of the conditions enforced [I didn't
take time to look for the "line" rules, so if "outside" means one skate
touching the painted circle (such as with the rule at the blue line for
deciding off-sides) or (facetiously) it means that the players must have
been outside at some time or other,  then maybe I've seen that happen, but if
it means being completely outside the circle (i.e. the unpainted part)
then ... and especially the players behind the linesman;  the only 4 feet
that I've observed is that the outside skates of the two players may have
been 4 feet apart ...  well, you get the drift.

BELOW
The "out" seems to be Rule 12 b.
If, after warning by the referee or linesman (that must be the "talking"
that Andrew refers to), either of the players fails to take his proper
position for the face-off prompltly, the official shall be entitled to
proceed with the face-off.

And thanks to Andrew for getting me to read this section, and understand
that I have been seeing legal face-offs after all.