Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1993 23:25:11 EDT
Sid writes:
>Boston Globe sportswriter Bob Monahan had this little tidbit in today's
>paper...
>        "Also, remember, I have a building here that holds 8,400 and I
>want to see those seats filled."
>        Marcum indicated that he may lean toward a person with head coaching
>experience. That would mean Jackson, who was interviewed last week, or Leach.
>        Marcum wants a coach who can give him quick results.

That's why I think if all four want the job (Jackson, Leach, Mallen,
Durocher), then it is probably down to Leach and Jackson.  Leach has the
local ties with Springfield.  And with Jackson, it seems that Marcum could
not get the national champ, so he wants the next best (runner-up and former
champ).  UMass didn't build a rink like that and commit what they have to
their program to make a half-hearted effort at choosing a coach.  They have
four solid candidates, with Jackson and Leach seeming to have the edge.

>        Some UMass alumni are talking with Marcum often. Said one, "I
>just hope Bob picks a coach who will care about the graduation rate
>of his players. That's important. A lot of us also would like to see a
>coach who would have some Massachusetts kids on the team. I wouldn't like
>to see UMass represented by just three Americans as LSSU was this past
>season." "

3?  From the 92-93 CCHA guide (thanks Keith), LSSU had 15 Americans
including Rolston, Bachusz, Hulett, and Valicevic (all Michigan).  13 were
Canadians.  I don't think the concern about whether Jackson would recruit
Mass kids is a problem...for one thing, even if you consider 13 Canadians a
lot, LSSU is closer to Canada than any other DivI hockey school, so it's
not unusual for them to have so many Canadians.  Also, I suspect local kids
are chomping at the bit to go to UMass, and I've already said a lot about
how I think the right coach will be able to walk into a prospective
recruit's living room and present as an attractive an opportunity as
schools like BC, BU, etc.

BTW, Jackson is a 78 MSU grad.  His career coaching is 96-22-13 over three
years for a win % of .790, second best in that span to Shawn Walsh's .864
(105-14-6).  I now think he will get the job, but everyone will probably
remind me I said the same about Walsh, so let's just wait a week and see
what happens. :-)  Also, don't underestimate the fact that Leach (and the
others) are more familiar with Mass and area recruiting than Jackson
probably is...even if Jackson is hired, I look for him to pick up some
assistants who know the area well, but this might be something that would
even lead UMass to hire Leach.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
alternate address days: [log in to unmask]             *HMN*  11/13/93
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)