Sender:
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1993 13:38:18 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
>I think that it's time for hockey-l to graduate from list status to a full-
>fledged unmoderated newsgroup.  It would be a lot less work for Wayne and
>it would allow a wider audience to receive college hockey information.  I
>think that that would help extend college hockey's appeal.  It also
>seems more efficient for each institution to keep all of the college
>hockey stuff in a single shared news group rather duplicated numerous times
>in private mailboxes.

On the contrary, I disagree. Everyone has access to sending
and receiving email. NOT everyone has access to usenet.
I dont think it's a good idea to DECREASE the access rather than
increase.

>I can only think of one objection people might have to this, and that
>is based on some people not having access to USENET news.  But I think
>there are ways to accomodate those people - perhaps by arranging for
>selected articles to be archived and made available by ftp.

Why? I don't really see any advantage gained by moving to usenet
but there are plenty of disadvantages. Besides the access thing,
there's also the attitude thing. Hockey-L has been able to maintain,
for the mos tpart, intelligent discussions. It has been mostly
devoid of the inane woofing the pervades rec.sport.hockey (I am
Leaf fan hear me roar; Bruins rule the world (well that's true but...:)
I don't want hockey-L to turn into that nor do I think most list members
do. Just IMHO.

Also, wasn't the Hobey supposed to be awarded today?

On another note, how about a petition drive for more media coverage
for college hockey? Maybe we could get some petitions circulated
in some areas and have them sent to CNN ESPN, Sporting News, etc.
I mean, the LEAST they could do is read off the scores like they
do for NW Montana St vs Central Idaho type basketball games. FUrthermore,
I HONESTLY think more people care about college hockey then the
seniors golf (which gets several minutes on your typical Sportscenter
or sports tonight). Any thoughts?