Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1993 18:05:14 EST
Well, I did have some predictions for the ECAC quarterfinal round (no, I
wasn't scared off by going 0 for the preliminary round), but I never got
them out.  I had picked all the home teams (honest!), though I admit I
expected Harvard to have trouble with Princeton and RPI to romp over
Colgate.

Having said that, let's move on to the ECAC's first-ever Phinal Phour at
Lake Placid.  It figures that in the first year the tournament is held in
New York State, there are two non-New York teams in the semis (Harvard and
Brown).  In the last three years that the ECAC Phinal Phour was held at
Boston Garden, only one of the twelve participants was not from New York.
Anyway, here are a few quick thoughts:

Clarkson vs. RPI
     SEASON SERIES:  RPI defeated Clarkson at home, 4-3.  Clarkson beat RPI
     at home, 3-1.
     OUTLOOK:  Somebody call rewrite -- this should be the championship
     game, rather than a semifinal, because with apologies to Harvard and
     Brown, this one matches up the two best teams in the league.  After
     some shakiness early in January, the Engineers have had a solid second
     half of the season, going 13-4-1 in their last 18 games, including the
     quarterfinals.  Clarkson, however, has been surreal, going 12-1-1 since
     returning from Maine, and recovering nicely from a slow start to the
     season.  RPI basically took the last weekend of the regular season off,
     and it almost cost them against a Colgate team that should have been
     easy pickings.  The Engineers struggled for six periods before finally
     waking up in Game 3 and blowing the Red Raiders off the ice.  Clark-
     son's sweep of arch-rival St. Lawrence was a bit easier, and the Golden
     Knights have had the extra day of rest, which will help in what figures
     to be a barnburner of a game.  The teams are awfully close -- perhaps
     RPI has the slight edge on defense, while the Knights are better on
     offense.  Historically, though, the odds are not with Clarkson.  This
     is their 22nd trip to the ECAC semis, but they have advanced to the
     finals only seven times.
     PREDICTION:  RPI, a bit tentatively.

Brown vs. Harvard
     SEASON SERIES:  Harvard won on the road, 3-2, and defeated Brown at
     home, 4-2.
     OUTLOOK:  After struggling for most of February and winning only one of
     their last four games, the league-leading Crimson came to life in a big
     way against Princeton in the quarterfinals, waking up the echoes of
     their early-season domination of the ECAC.  Harvard always has a load
     of talent, and this year is no exception.  Returning Olympian Ted Drury
     has juiced up the offense and in particular has helped make fellow
     forwards Steve Flomenhoft and Matt Mallgrave real threats to the oppo-
     sition.  The Crimson, as they did four years ago when they won the
     national championship, again have a terrific freshman goaltending duo
     in Tripp Tracy and Aaron Israel.  However, Harvard would be wise not to
     underestimate the Bears, who come into the semis on a hot streak.
     Except for their last regular-season game, in which they blew a 4-0
     lead against Clarkson, Brown has been nearly untouchable over the past
     month, posting an 8-1-1 record in their last 10 games.  Brown also
     boasts an explosive offense, keyed by Derek Chauvette.  The one area
     where the Bears have had trouble has been in goal -- the problem seems
     to have gone away over the last month, but whoever is between the pipes
     figures to be severely tested by the Crimson offense.  By the way, this
     is the first ECAC semifinal game between Ivy League teams since the
     memorable double-overtime matchup between Cornell and Yale seven years
     ago.
     PREDICTION:  Harvard.

Given my predicting record (which goes from bad to worse), it's likely that
neither of those teams will make it to the championship game.  Nevertheless,
I would pick RPI over Harvard in the final.  I'll cover my buns (and "dis"
Harvard and Brown once again) by mentioning that whoever wins the semi
between RPI and Clarkson would be my pick to take the championship.

Donning my flame-retardant pajamas...
--
Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and probably '94        |  [log in to unmask]