Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1993 12:35:45 EST
Mike and Luiz have already touched on the reason for why UMass-Lowell,
despite receiving two first-place votes, was not in the top 15 this week.
Just to make it official, here's an excerpt from the HOCKEY-L poll instruc-
tions, posted at the beginning of the season:

>However, please remember that this is not a popularity contest, and I will
>not count any responses that appear to be frivolous (listing teams with 1-8
>records and the like).  In voting, try to consider teams outside of the
>conference(s) you usually follow.  Don't forget that HOCKEY-L can provide a
>lot of information on how teams you are not very familiar with are doing.

Now, call me judgmental, but in compiling the poll, I have a difficult time
seeing the merit of a vote that places 18-16-1 UMass-Lowell at the top over
teams like Maine, Michigan, Miami, Boston University, Minnesota-Duluth...
the list goes on.  To me, such a vote is not a well-thought-out response to
the question, "What are the fifteen *best* hockey teams in Division I right
now?" (which is what the HOCKEY-L poll is).  And that is why those two votes
were not included in this week's poll.

By and large, the voting for the HOCKEY-L poll has been done very well.
Only a very few of the responses I've received over the season have been
discarded.

If there are any other questions or concerns about the HOCKEY-L poll, please
feel free to contact me through E-mail.
--
Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and probably '94        |  [log in to unmask]