Sender:
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1993 13:15:00 EDT
Comments:
Warning -- original Sender: tag was [log in to unmask]
        At only 5'4" Cal Ingraham is a force on the best team in the country.
Being the same height as Cal he is my favorite player on the U-Maine team.  I
was just wondering if anybody knows if Cal is drafted or not?  Can he play in
the pros with such a height disadvantage?  He's certainly proven he can play
college hockey but only Thoren Fleury at 5'6" has been able to keep up in the
NHL being THAT short.
        Another thing, if Cal was on let's say Providence, would he still be a
stand out.  I bet a lot of skeptics would say that Stevie Wonder could play
with Kariya and Montgomery and stil net a large amount of point but I disagree.
I think Cal, like a lot of other players on Maine is caught in the shadow of
Kariya.  I bet he would be lighting the lamp no matter who he played for or
with.  Being short myself, it kills me to see some bigger guys make it with some
talent but mostly relying on their size. (Not Saying Kariya relies on size but
a lot of other college hockey players do)  Ingraham is pure speed, finesse and
has a mind for the game that almost eliminates his height problem.  Now to me,
that is a fun hockey player to watch.  He reads the play, then darts in and out
like a cat when he sees an opportunity.  He is the type of player who is almost
invisible to fans and opponents until before you know it he's got 2 goals and
an assist.
        So Maine fans and all others, the next time the Black Bears take the
ice I ur.  Unless you are into only watching Big Guys with no hands, I promise
you will not be disappointed!