Sender:
From:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1993 14:10:58 EST
Erik writes:

>Martin writes:
>
>>Check this out: I'm listening to NPR this morning, and they do a feature on
>>Mike Muller (sp?), formerly of the Minnesota Gophers, who has gone to play
>>for the "Soviet" Dynamo team!  It was really cool!  Apparently he was drafted
>>by an NHL team his freshman year, didn't develop so wonderfully, and took
>>a job playing in Russia after graduating.
>
>Mike Muller played two seasons for the Gophers, and developed into an
>excellent college defenseman.  The Winnipeg Jets, who hold his NHL rights,
>signed him to a contract and sent him to play for a year with Moscow
>Dynamo.  The Gophers miss him, as they are short of experienced defense
>this year, but the Jets certainly gave Mike a once-in-a-lifetime
>opportunity.

Interestingly enough, I just finsished (last night) the book by
Tod Hartje, From Behind the Red Line, describing his experiences
playing for Sokol Kiev after graduating from Harvard.  He was also
drafted by Winnipeg and sent to Kiev by Mike Smith, Winnipeg's GM
(still I think) who just happens to have a doctorate in Russian
Studies.

BTW, the book was interesting, however, not quite as informative
as I would have liked.

Charlie