Sender:
From:
Scott Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1993 20:25:55 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
 (Big Wheels) writes:

>"turn down" my sousaphone by some elder booster at a Cornell game @Cornell.
>I think it is great to see elder alumni and locals and boosters come out
>to see their favorite hockey team play. But the student sections, the bands,
>and all their energy comes with the game. It was their choice to attend the
>If it is too loud for their sensitive ears and sensabilities, then either
>they should not come or wear earplugs and just enjoy watching the game.
>
>Ted Weiler
>Clarkson U. '94 (I wish it would be '95)

Isn't it a little lucridous to say that hockey and loud bands have to come
in unison?  Now I realize this is college hockey after all, but these
"elder alumni and locals and boosters" are still an important part of
fandom.  Surely members of the band can have just as much fun without
playing so loudly all the time (if this was the booster's complaint.)

I'd be curious to take an unoffical poll.  Anyone interested may e-mail me
at <[log in to unmask]> and answer the following question:

        "Which would you rather do:  1) Attend a hockey game where there are
no bands playing (ie. you can hear all the penalty announcements, scoring
credits, and notices that the following vehicle has its headlights left
on)...  or 2) Attend a hockey game where there is a loud pep band playing
during almost the entire contest, making it impossible to understand most
announements?

Remember, you have to choose either 1) or 2)!  No half way medium allowed.

- Scott Raymond <[log in to unmask]>, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute