Sender:
From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1992 09:57:28 EST
Achilles Rink, Schenectady, NY
Sat 2/29/92

Yale   2 1 1 1 - 5
Union  1 2 1 0 - 4

Scoring:
1st Period-
1) Yale, Matusovich 3 (from Ferguson and Weidenbach) 0:27 (pp)
2) Yale, Lavish 15 (from Sather and Ferguson) 3:33
3) Union, Menhall 14 (from Railton and McKenna) 10:40 (pp)

2nd Period-
4) Union, Ferrero 15 (from Whitney and Flowers) 10:08 (pp)
5) Yale, Lavish 16 (from Sather and Kaufmann) 15:03
6) Union, Flowers 8 (from Albert) 17:46

3rd Period-
7) Union, Flowers 9 (from Kelley and Clifford) 9:52
8) Yale, Kaufmann 24 (from Sather and Duffy) 19:51

Overtime-
9) Yale, Ferguson 9 (from Sather and Lavish) 1:01

Shots on goal: Yale 15-19-16-3--53, Union 5-10-10-1--26.

Power Play Opportunities: Yale 1 of 8, Union 2 of 5.

Goalies: Yale, Sullivan (5-1-1)(26 shots, 22 saves)
         Union, White (0-1-0)(53 shots, 48 saves)

Attendance: 2035 (2504 capacity)

It just wasn't supposed to end this way.  Achilles Rink was ready to
count off the final seconds of a 4-3 upset of Yale.  The Yale net was
empty.  Everyone was standing, waiting for the celebration to begin.
But with nine seconds left, the red light went on behind senior goalie
Shayne White...  61 seconds into the overtime, Yale scored again to
take the game, 5-4.

Union and White started out shaky.  Yale went on the power play just
22 seconds into the game, and scored 5 seconds later on Scott
Matusovich's shot from the left point.  Just a few minutes later,
Union made a bad pass at center ice, leading to a Yale 3-on-2.  John
Sather faked a shot but passed to James Lavish, who put the puck
behind White at 3:33.  Yale kept the pressure on, but White was
outstanding.  Union got on the board on Dalton Menhall's power play
goal midway through the period.  Bill Railton got an assist, giving
him his 100th career point.  The play started to get rough.  Yale had
3 power plays in the second half of the period, but was unable to
score.

The Bulldogs were all over Union early in the 2nd period.  About 5
minutes into the period, Union came in on a 3-on-1 break, but Craig
Ferrero couldn't get a good shot off.  The Dutchmen dodged a bullet
when White came out of the net to play a puck coming around the
boards.  The puck took a bad bounce to Yale's Yannick Chiasson, who
sent it just wide of the open net.  Midway through the period on a
power play, Union tied it on Ferrero's 15th goal.  Yale got the lead
back on a breakaway goal from Lavish at 15:03.  Jayson Flowers tied
the game for Union again when he came in behind the Yale defense at
17:46.  White stopped 18 of 19 shots in the period.

Flowers scored again at 9:52 of the third to give Union the 4-3 lead.
That lead woould stand up for almost 10 minutes.  Yale's pressure late
in the game was incredible.  With all the big saves by White, the
biggest save of the night came from Yale goalie Todd Sullivan with
about 5 minutes left in the game.  Ferrero came in on a partial
breakaway for Union, but Sullivan stopped him, keeping Yale within
striking distance.  With 93 seconds left in the game, Ferrero and
Lavish were sent off for hitting after the whistle.  Yale pulled
Sullivan to get a 5-on-4 skating advantage.  The rest of the game was
constant Yale pressure.  Union was killing off the game, a few seconds
at a time.  White was amazing, kicking aside shots and pouncing on
rebounds.  Union cleared the puck with about 15 seconds left, but
couldn't get enough on it to send it all the way down the ice.  That
gave Yale enough time for one more rush.  Some quick passing gave the
puck to Mark Kaufmann right in front, and he sent the puck into the
net at 19:51.

Yale got a goal from Craig Ferguson at 1:01 of the overtime period to
take the 5-4 win.  Union finishes the season 2-19-1 in the ECAC,
3-21-1 overall.  Yale heads into the ECAC playoffs with a league
record of 11-4-7, 13-6-7 overall.

Shayne White finished with 48 saves for Union.  He was making his
first start of the season.  He was 8-3-1 last season, Union's last
in Division III.  When Union moved to Division I this year, they
brought in Luigi Villa and Mike Gallant to do the goaltending.  That
left White and Junior Jim Helkie on the bench after splitting time
last year.  Shayne didn't complain, and Coach Delventhal rewarded
his loyalty with the start in the last game of the season.  Watching
him in last night's game, you would have thought he had been in there
all season.  The crowd, the loudest Union crowd of the season, gave
White and all of the Dutchmen a standing ovation after the game.

Union notes:

- The coach and team all had good things to say after the game.  "He
just played spectacularly," Delventhal said.  "He played with a lot of
heart and emotion.  You couldn't ask for a goaltender to play any
better than he played right there."  He added, "It defintely wasn't
his fault.  I feel great for him.  The cliche is that only the strong
survive.  This year that cliche is really, really true.  Shayne White
is mentally and physically tough.  The kids have a great deal of
respect for him."  Railton summed it up in 3 words: "He was awesome."
Gallant added, "Shayne is the most unselfish hockey player I've ever
seen in my life.  I've never had any more respect for anyone.  He was
always there for me and Luigi (Villa) to help us when we were down."
Flowers said, "It felt like a big stake went right through my heart.
It was incredible to see Shayne stand on his head like he did."
(Quotes from Schenectady Gazette and Albany Times Union.)

- A ceremony was held before the game to honor Union's seniors.
Unfortunately, the ceremony was 10 minutes before game time, and half
of the crowd wasn't there yet.  Eight seniors were acknowledged, and
had pictures taken with their families.  Dalton Menhall, Rick
Clifford, Bill Railton, Scott Whitney, Tim Cregan, Rick Burchill and
Shayne White will all be remembered as one of Union's best hockey
classes, and the group that led them into their first Division I
season.  These players gave up a chance at another 18 or 20 win season
at the Division III level for a Division I season that would have that
many losses.  Other seniors, who were left behind in junior varsity by
the move to Division I, include Brian Geraghty, Dalton Gustafson, Dave
Moody, Matt Steckler, and Will Winship.

Season wrapup coming in a few weeks...
--
| Jim Teresco			Union College                                 |
| [log in to unmask]	Schenectady, NY 12308			      |