Sender:
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 19:05:19 -0600
7bit
From:
Eric Burton <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
Vicki Price wrote: Kraig Ehm <[log in to unmask]
 Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>Etall.

> > Would you consider a crosscheck to the head worthy of a 5 minute major
> call?

In essence 2 weeks ago UND fighting Sioux hockey Player Jason Noterman got a 5
minute penalty and a game disqualification for vicously cross checking not once
but twice Gopher player Oleary headlong into the boards and causing him to be
carried off the ice sent to Altru hospitial and forced to miss the rest of the
game and the next three games, I am not sure what his status is.  Semmantically
speaking they called hit boarding. In this case the proper call was made
requardless of the definition of the penalty. I think maybe we worry too much
about the call and not enough about the length of the time served in the box.

In listening to some of the coaches weekly on the Fighting Sioux coaches show on
KCNN 1590 it appears that most of the coaches I have heard speak on the radio, a
majority of them have express a concern about the dangerous hits in games this
season  around the WCHA.  Don Lucia recently when the Gophers came to Grand Forks
express a concern about the lack of calls being made in games where there were
blantant dangerous hit taking place and an inconsistancy on how long the
penalties given to the players. Apparently Dave Spher got checked into the boards
and incidently had to miss two weeks from post concussion syndrome because of a
dirty hit. In this case the proper call probably was not made because the player
from SCSU only recieved a minor or double minor for the infraction. Inevidently
the one that decides who gets a penatly and how long they serve is the referee.
Apparently these guys are making the right calls because they still are working
the games they are calling. I guess each game is reviewed by the head of officals
and the officals are then grade or rated. Mabye this needs to be addressed again.