Sender:
From:
"Jeffrey T. Anbinder" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 12:12:51 -0500
>        The recent quote from Coach Vaughn of Colgate confirms that
>Colgate awards
>preferential need-based aid to athletes. In fact, what he said is basically
>the definition of preference. This is exactly what some schools such as
>Union, for instance (until this year), maintained they would not do. Does
>anyone know, definitively, whether or not the Ivies do or do not award
>preferential need based aid to athletes? We have had this discussion before
>but it would be interesting to know if there is any new information
>available.

Cornell has a program called Cornell Tradition Fellowships, which are
offered only on a need basis, and are for the sole intention of replacing
loans with grants.  Some of our varsity athletes are beneficiaries of this
program.

But it's probably worth pointing out that, unlike the "regular" scholarship
grants, Tradition grants come with minimum requirements for GPA, part-time
employment, and community service that must be met each semester to
qualify, so (IMO, anyway) I don't think it qualifies as "preferential" to
athletes.

--
Jeffrey "Beeeej" Anbinder '94                     [log in to unmask]
Reunion Campaign Officer                          (work) 607-254-6106

"Winter is icumen in,
Lhude sing Goddamm."
        - Ezra Pound, "Ancient Music"