Sender:
From:
Brian Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 23:49:00 -0500
Tonight in the cooooooold Meehan Auditorium, Princeton Tigers wore down
the Brown Bears and took game 1 of the series by a score of 3 to 2.

As usual both teams came out playing hard. The first was filled with very
physical -- no, violent -- play, however it became clear that referee
Hansen would be calling a loose game. I felt spelled trouble for the
Bears, as they don't have the stamina to stand up to three periods of
intense physical pressure. I was right.

Brown got on the board first though with a goal by Damian Prescott at
7:32. With a delayed penalty coming up, Adrian Smith dug it out of the
right corner and put the shot on Erasmo Saltarelli, who made the block but
Prescott was there in front to put the rebound on the top shelf. Brown
would go into the locker room with the 1-0 lead.

The second showed Princeton fighting harder and Brown getting tired. A lot
of time was spent in the Brown zone. At 6:14 Steven Shirreffs broke into
the Brown zone unopposed as defenseman Jimmy Andersson tripped at the blue
line. Scott Stirling made the save when Shirreffs tried to stuff it in the
right side. The ensuing rebound shot by Chris Corrinet hit Stirling's
stick and bounced forward, where Ethan Doyle finally put it away to tie
the game.

Three minutes later, after Brown fought off a power play, Corrinet drove
into the Brown zone down the right side and Chris Warrington couldn't keep
up with him. Stirling made the stick save on the shot but the rebound went
out to the slot again, where Brian Horst made the quick shot for
Princeton's second goal at 9:51.

Brown tied it up at 17:16 with a goal by Adrian Smith. DJ Harding took the
shot from the right side that was deflected behind the net, and managed to
pass the rebound out front to the waiting Smith.

Finally in the third Princeton just continued to wear Brown down. The
Bears started to look a little desparate -- passing was sloppy,
puckhandling was poor, checks were being missed.  After almost 15
grueling minutes, the puck came to Steven Shirreffs at the left face-off
circle where he was mixing it up with a couple Brown defensemen. He
managed to get the shot off and over Stirling's left pads for the
game-winner at 14:59. Stirling was probably screened but such a break
seemed overdue. Brown pulled Stirling for the final minute but only got
one good scoring drive going, and Princeton skated away with the victory.
As many of us expected, a fight broke out after the game but the fabulous
Brown PA staff didn't bother to tell us the penalties, or if anyone won't
be suiting up tomorrow.

I really didn't care very much for the officiating in this game (yes, here
we go again). It's not so much that I think Brown got ripped off -- I
don't think a tighter-called game would have made a big difference in the
outcome -- but at least three Brown players had to be helped off the ice
over the course of the evening due to extracurricular activity behind the
plays. Personally I'd rather see a ref call a looser game rather than call
a lot of ridiculous penalties, but I draw the line when people start
getting hurt.  I also hear that starting-liner freshman Jon Zielinski
took a knee injury in the second but I don't remember seeing that play. He
didn't play the third.

They say that in the playoffs the better defense wins. Princeton's was
there, especially their penalty kill unit. Brown will need to step it up
tomorrow to see any more ice time this year.  Stirling did very well in
net but he'll need more help from his team.  Coach Grillo needs to calm
his team down and make sure they stick with the gameplan.

Note that nowhere in this summary was Princeton accused of playing "clutch
and grab" hockey! :-)

The Bears take on the Tigers again tomorrow at 7:00PM in Meehan for game
2 of the series. (I'll probably be late depending on how long/close the
Women's semifinal at Northeastern is)

Unofficial Brown Hockey web page: http://www.netspace.org/users/bfisk/hockey

--
March 13, 1998
Meehan Auditorium

Princeton 3 Brown 2
--------------------

Princeton 0  2  1   3
Brown     1  1  0   2

First Period:
-------------
Scoring:
BRN- PRESCOTT (Smith, Hoiness) 7:32

Penalties:
BRN- ZIELINSKI (hooking) 8:50
PRN- HEGLAND (holding) 12:18
PRN- BRUSH (holding) 15:32

Second Period:
--------------
Scoring:
PRN- DOYLE (Corrinet, Shirreffs) 6:14
PRN- HORST (Corrinet) 9:51
BRN- SMITH (Harding) 17:16

Penalties:
PRN- BERTOLI (hooking) 1:29
BRN- LONGFIELD (high-sticking) 6:55
PRN- HEGLAND (holding) 15:02

Third Period:
-------------
Scoring:
PRN- SHIRREFFS (unassisted) 14:59

Penalties:
BRN- HOINESS (interference) 2:17
PRN- SHIRREFFS (holding) 8:47
plus penalties at 20:00 after a fight broke out (not announced -- AARRRRGH!)

Shots on Goal:
--------------
PRN-    5   12  11 -- 28
BRN-    8   12   3 -- 23

Goaltending:
BRN- Scott Stirling (59:00, 25 saves)
PRN- Erasmo Saltarelli (60:00, 21 saves)

Officials:
Referee: Hansen
Linesmen: Emantiam, Bergoust

Brian Fisk                                                [log in to unmask]

This sig isn't really here.