Sender:
From:
Josh Kleinbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 10:53:38 -0500
At 09:38 AM 2/25/97 -0500, Paul Gentile wrote:
>Putting aside my tendecies (tongue-in-cheek) as a HockeyEast fan, I really,
>really believe it should go to Chris Drury. Chris leads the nation in scoring

So far, in the last two posts I've read, I've seen that both Chris Drury
and Todd White lead the nation in scoring.  Therefore, to clarify, I'm
going to give some stats to fuel this discussion, so that everyone is
accurate (all stats from the NCAA stats web site):

In total points, Brendan Morrison leads the nation with 67 points, followed
by White with 61. Drury has 53, behind Morrison, White, and Jason Krog (55).

In points per game, White leads the nation with a 2.03 average. Morrison is
second with a 1.97 average. Drury is eigth with 1.66.

In goals per game, Chris Drury leads the nation with 1.09 average and 35
total. White is second with 1.00 and 30 total.  Morrison is not in the top 20.

In assists per game, Morrison leads the nation with a 1.29 average and 44
total. Todd White is tied for seventh with a 1.03 average and 31 total
assists. Chris Drury is not in the top 20.

In game-winning goals, White leads the nation with 7.  Neither Morrison nor
Drury are in the top 10.

In power-play goals, Morrison is tied for first with Justin Cardwell and
Jason Botteril at 13. White is right behind them with 12.

Well, there you have it.  Hopefully, we'll get some more accurate posts, so
we don't have two or three people leading the nation in scoring :-)

Now, onto my opinions...

Unfortunately, I have not seen Todd White play this year.  I saw Clarkson
last year at Albany in the NCAA regionals, but he doesn't stick out in my
mind.  I've really only had the opportunity to see CCHA teams, and the
teams Michigan played non-conference at Yost.

As for Morrison, he is the best player I have seen play this year, hands
down.  There is no question about it in my mind.  But does that make him
better than White?  Not necessarily.  The fact that Morrison has the
supporting cast that he does helps a lot.  He does not have the burden that
White has as having to carry the team.  If Morrison has a bad game, there
are a handful of Wolverines that can step it up.  Also, overall quality of
the offense helps boost Morrison's stats.  In every computer ranking I've
seen, Michigan is one or two in offense. If he was on Clarkson, would he
have the same production?  Very possibly not.

As far as the stats, they're pretty even.  Morrison has the edge in
assists, White in goals.  In total scoring, they're about the same.

Obviously, as a Michigan fan, I'd like to see Morrison win the award.
Again, he is the best player I have seen play.  But it really could go
either way...

                                        -Josh

        "What would you do if you ate your daddy's shoes?"