Sender:
From:
"Adam W. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 00:29:57 -0500
On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Charles Wilrycx wrote:
> The Bears retained the Mayor's Cup Saturday Jan 25.  The Bears defeated
> Providence College 3-2 at home, in front of 2,300 fans.  The Bears have not
> lost in their last four games (Union 4-2, Air Force 5-3, Air Force 7-7).

... which was a lot of fun to watch after a couple of dissapointing
seasons and right after the (#1) women's 4-1 win over (#2) Providence
College Saturday afternoon.

> Has defense stiffened up, or have non-conference games given Brown the
> opportunity to try some new things (in desperation no doubt)?

  It's my impression based on that one game that the Bear's game has
actually improved in a realistic fashion, not by some hackery.  I was
fairly impressed with the Mayor's Cup game, and they definitely deserved
to win, IMHO.  There was a definite improvement in their puck control and
passing, and probably in their positioning as well, although I haven't
really been a fan long enough to follow that.  There are still the
mistakes and less-than-worthwhile penalties, but it did look like a much
improved team out there Saturday (after my month's absence).
  I have learned to be a women's fan and skip the men's games, but I'll be
going to the next few to see if they can continue this trend.

  In case you haven't, check out the ECAC and Brown sections of
www.uscollegehockey.com, and more relevantly the Unofficial Brown Hockey
Pages at http://www.netspace.org/~bfisk/hockey for good info on both men
and women and for links to Brown Daily Herald sports articles (some quite
good).

 > How many ECAC teams actually make the playoffs?

Apparently 10 of the 12 go, according to a recent news article at Brown
(http://www.netspace.org/herald/issues/012297/micers.f.html).

Go You Bears!
Adam

--