Sender:
From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 14:37:54 GMT
Comments:
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Jimmy Page is GOD <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>        The RPI/BU game was pretty good. I think that RPI looks better now than
>they did last year. I say more body checks (real looking body checks that is) in
>this first game than I did in any of the games last year.

I'll disagree to a certain extent.  A lot of the guys who hammer and hit
were in and out of the lineup last year.  I remember huge checks by guys
like Rochon, O'Connor, and Regan.  But what impressed me last night was the
huge checks thrown by returnees like Mark Murphy, Bryan Tapper, and Matt
Garver.  Murphy is a different player, as is Garver.  Tapper is back after
some injuries last year and he is a huge physical guy.

>        That new Gardiner guy is awesome. He's big (!!!!), he can skate
>relatively fast, he hustles around and chases the puck down, and he scores (he
>had one goal). I like Garver too. He is always hustling about. Hustle can make
>up alot for missing talent.

See above about Garver.  Gardiner has presence there is no doubt.  What
surprised me was that DiPaolo was not in the lineup.

>        I was pretty pissed at the 5th BU goal though. Did anyone else see the
>RPI defensemen (or maybe it was a forward ???), get dragged down right in front
>of the goal about 4 seconds before that last goal got scored? Why the hell
>wasn't that penalty called? It wasn't like it wasn't obvious... all eyes were on
>the goal as BU was setting up their attack.

I disagree totally.  That was Brian Pothier that you can't recall.  Pothier was
involved with Mike Sylvia.  The puck was in his midsection, and both him and
Sylvia were trying to find the puck.  When O'Connell came in and took the puck
both Pothier and Sylvia fell.  No penalty there.

>        These ECAC refs. make me sick. I hope that RPI doesn't have to struggle
>the rest of the year with this crappy officiating. I'm impressed big time by
>the new goalie (    . He only let in that one bad goal through the five hole. He
>was flopping all over the place and making some pretty confident saves.

First of all let's talk the refs.  Harry Ammian did not have a good game.  He
called penalties that were by sight (meaning that things could have happened
it was just the motions that warranted the call).  For example Pat Brownlee's
holding call was not holding, just 2 guys colliding, but the following
motions looked like holding.  Chris Kelleher's interference call was the same
way.

As for Joel Laing, he looked impressive.  That first minute point blank save
gave him confidence and he carried it.  Let's see what Prekaski can do on
Friday against Northeastern.

>        I think RPI is going to be better off this year than people think (as
>long as they can keep up the hustle... and we all know RPI has trouble with
>that). If they can have a pretty good game against BU, I think they should do
>alright.

I said it all last night, I was impressed.

>        Anybody else think that 5th goal was iffy?

Not me.

* Jayson Moy  RPI '89 '93  *  One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer      *
* [log in to unmask]             *  Hockey, Baseball, Football, and Basketball    *
* The "Asian Invasion"     *  on Crystal Clear 91.5FM  WRPI, Troy           *
* Check out the WRPI Sports Web Pages on:                                   *
*           http://www.rpi.edu/~stuttk/wrpispts.html                        *