Sender:
From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 21:13:11 -0400
Comments:
Authenticated sender is <[log in to unmask]>
Steve Czuba wrote:

> >  [Sean Pickett (me) wrote:]
> >
> > I personally think that the large attendance thatt year was a sign
> > that HockeyFest would have been a huge success if the ECAC had not
> > felt overshadowed by Hockey East.
> >
> I agree wholeheartedly.
>
> Personally, I was crushed when the ECAC pulled out of Boston for
> it's tournament.
<deleted>
> If HE is indeed thinking of pulling out the Fleet, I would love to
> see them talk to the ECAC about a HockeyFest concept again. Being a
> college hockey fan, it would be great to see alternating ECAC / HE
> matchups.

Back around 1987-89 (most likely in the summer of 1988), I wrote to
every Hockey East and ECAC head coach and athletic director, plus the
HE and ECAC not-comissioner-but-in-charge-of-the-league-persons
stating the case for a combined ECAC/HE Championship (I did not,
however, suggest calling it "HockeyFest").

I have no idea if my letters had any influence or were even read,
however the two leagues did agree to hold a combined tournament for
three years, beginning in 1990 through 1992.  The Maine mealses
outbreak cancelled the first planned combined tournament, but it was
held in 1991 and 1992.

I attended both, 1991 for all three days and 1992 for the ECAC
semifinals and the two championship games.  BU did not make the 1992
championshp weekend, but I still stayed to watch Maine defeat New
Hampshire, the first time I had ever seen a HE championship semifinal
or final when BU was involved.

In 1987, '88 and '89, I went to the ECAC championship at Boston
Garden instead of the nomadic Hockey East championship.  As long the
the HE and ECAC championchips remain seperate, I will most likely not
attend any HE championships when BU is not involved.   Instead, I
may possibley attend the ECAC championship in that event.

But, if HockeyFest was revived, I would definitely attend the
combined ECAC and HE championship games, the ECAC semifinals, and
possiblily even the HE semifinals.

If any ECAC and HE fans want to see HockeyFest rise from the ashes, then I
suggest you wite to all 21 HE and ECAC caoches and athletic
directors, plus both leagues comissioner (they both have one now).

And Mike, don't say it's pointless, ok? Thanks.   ;-D

Sean Pickett            E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Go Terriers  NCAA and Beanpot Champions
BU Hockey:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html
The Bedford Flag:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/flag.html
But I Digress:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/bid.html