Sender:
From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 1995 16:59:01 GMT
Comments:
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Cheryl A. Morris <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Apparently there are two elements to the controversy:
>   1)The penalty shouldn't have been called at all--it was just good physical
>       play;
>   2) The penalty shouldn't have been called because it was behind the play and,
>      it was in the final minutes of play ( the old don't let the officials
>      decide a contest rule).
>
>I again reiterate I wasn't at the game.  I am interested in other observor's
>comments.  Jason Moi on the broadcast seemed to be quite adamant that the call
>should not have been made.

Yes I was quite adamant.  Why?  It was a touch call first of all, this coming
from a biased eye, but unbiased from the broadcast booth.  It was a tug on a
backcheck.

One more thing, I will agree that it was a horribly called game by the referees
There was one point in the game where it was totally obvious that a bad call
was made, so 6 seconds later the other referee called a penalty to even it
up.

I do not understand how the SAME set of referees caled an excellent game
the night before and could go from hi to low so easily.  I talked with
Mike Machnik about this during the Merrimack-RPI game and said that the
refereeing was so inconsistent you never know what to expect.  This is
case in point.

But, all in all, SLU deserved the win, and should have gotten it way before
the power play goal with 16 seconds left.  i do not think this should have been
called.  I am more concerned with the inconsistencies than anything else
about the refereeing.

* Jayson Moy  RPI '89 '93  *  One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer      *
* [log in to unmask]             *  Hockey, Baseball, Football, and Basketball    *
* The "Asian Invasion"     *  on Crystal Clear 91.5FM  WRPI, Troy *EASM*    *
* Check out the WRPI Sports Web Pages on:                                   *
*           http://www.rpi.edu/~stuttk/wrpispts.html                        *