Sender:
From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 1995 09:52:00 EST
First, apologies for the use of the old "Larries" instead of the correct "
"Saints".  But then I use "RPI" instead of "Rensselaer.

Second, I did not attend the game.  But the late-game penalty to O'Connor also
got coverage in this morning's T-U.  From Cap Carey's article:

"What was more frustrating than the shot, which bounced in off the goal post,
was a hooking penalty call on RPI's Jeff O'Connor with just 37 seconds
remaining.

"I think the game should be decided between the players.  I feel that one w
wasn't," coach Fridgen said.  "To have a game decided like this, I feel bad for
them.  I don't think it's fair to have something like this happen."

Fridgen said the biggest problem with the late penalty was St. Lawrence's Paul
DiFrancesco, who was hooked, was behind the blue line and the incident did not
hamper a St. Lawrence scoring attempt.

"If it's a scoring opportunity being taken away, I could see something called,"
Fridgen said.  "But it was not a factor."

Kungel's goal was especially frustraing for Tamburro, who stopped St. Lawrence's
offense all evening, saving 41 of 43 shots.

"I thought Mike came back from last night's game and played excellent," Fridgen
said.  "He knew there was some shaky goals these last two nights, but he has
got his confidence back."

As soon as the final horn sounded signaling the end of the game,
RPI goalie Mike Tamburro smashed his stick across the top of the goal post.
AFter shaking hands with members of the St. Lawrence University team, Tamburro
stopped in the hallway and tossed his stick in the garbage can.
(end of excerpt)

Apparently there are two elements to the controversy:
   1)The penalty shouldn't have been called at all--it was just good physical
       play;
   2) The penalty shouldn't have been called because it was behind the play and,
      it was in the final minutes of play ( the old don't let the officials
      decide a contest rule).

I again reiterate I wasn't at the game.  I am interested in other observor's
comments.  Jason Moi on the broadcast seemed to be quite adamant that the call
should not have been made.
Brian Morris                      RPI Engineers--1995 ECAC Champions