Sender:
From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 20:04:06 EST
I agree with Rick that goalies do bear some of the blame for the increased
physical contact they seem to be experiencing.  Ever since Billy Smith
goaltenders have staked out the blue semi-circle as their kingdom, and college
goalies are just another example of the trend.  Goalies are certainly no saints,
the rap around the ankles, or the more dangerous elbow at the side of the net,
seem to be a standard part of their repetoire.  Yes, even those small, tough
guys like a Mike Tamburro.

But it seems like the old taboo about challenging the opponent's goalie is no
longer.  In the old days if you touched the other goalie, you could pretty much
expect a minor, or even double minor, not to mention a set of knuckles to your
chops.  Now players are reluctant to raise their fists to defend the goalies
(not that less fisticuffs is bad) and referres are reluctant to raise their
whistle.

On thing I would like to see comments on: is their a difference in the way
HE and ECAC refs call charging, roughing the goalie, etc.?  The HE members seem
to be generally saying their refs do a good job of protecting their goaltenders,
while the ECAC contingent seems to be noticing the rash of violence directing
at the guys between the pipes.  To me that seems surprising, since I would say
that HE tends to have bigger players than the ECAC, but maybe therein lies the
answer.

Maybe it's just a result of all those refs searching the ice for interference,
except of course at the goalmouth. :-)
Brian Morris                        RPI Engineers--1995 ECAC Champions