Sender:
From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 1995 23:53:18 -0400
Just some thoughts regarding a couple of recent issues:

1) Jacques Joubert:  I interviewed Joubert in the B.U. lockerroom
following the Minnesota game, just prior to his conversation with
a Sports Illustrated reporter whose name escapes me (but it was
definitely not the author of the published article - I looked
pretty carefully at his press pass).

My guess is that the reporter I saw was getting quotes from Joubert
while the reporter whose byline appears on the story was talking to
other folks. Anyway, Joubert's conversation took place in the
middle of a lockerroom open to all media - hardly a clandestine
meeting.

In addition, I spent about 20 minutes talking with Joubert and
alternately stepping aside so other reporters could get quotes.
At least 8 of every 10 questions was focused on the Maine rivalry.
Most of the reporters were determined to get Joubert to say something
negative about the Black Bears - usually with questions like "So
do these two teams hate each other?" Joubert wouldn't bite. He
emphasized the intensity of the rivalry, and tried to deemphasize
any attempts to relate the NCAA final to past BU/Maine encounters.

Lastly, I've always found Joubert to be a straight shooter. He's a
pretty bright kid (academic all-america last year, as a matter of
fact) who speaks his mind. He has always been very candid with me.
I don't doubt that he said the things attributed to him in Sports
Illustrated, but I don't think he had any ulterior motive making
them when he did (or to whom he did).

2) Gary Thorne column in the Bangor Daily News

My dear old aunt in Old Town sent me a clipping of Thorne's that
I found pretty interesting in light of some Hockey-L discussion.
The column is entitled "Sports Keep Taking Us All For Suckers"
and it is Thorne's thoughts on the disappointment that fans
feel every time sports or their team lets them down, i.e. the
baseball strike, Daryl Strawberry's cocaine use, etc. His
point, I think, is that we build our sports heroes up to unrealistic
expectations in light of the financial realities that shape sports.

One Thorne comment is particularly interesting, and I reproduce
it here (without permission, of course, although my uncle has met
Thorne and that's good enough for me :-)):

"Let's get real personal. Every kid who puts on a Maine hockey
jersey isn't God. Maybe every kid who comes shouldn't be here.
The NCAA will have something to say about that. How will you react
if there is some negative news? Will you automatically assume the
program must have been within the rules because you're a Maine
hockey fan? Will you blow it off because 'everybody does it?'"

As for me, I'm certainly willing to let the NCAA worry about
Maine's conduct. I cover hockey games and players, not administrative
matters (thank heavens). I just thought others on the list might
be interested in Thorne's comment and my take on Joubert.

Geoff Howell
The Trenton Times
Drop the Puck