Sender:
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 17:28:04 -0500
     the following are my comments, from a knowledgeable, objective and
     critical Michigan fan, on the season for the Wolverines.

     Does Kevin Allen, USA Today Writer, look like a genius for his
     Thursday headline, "Maine expects classic vs. Michigan".

     First off, thanks to the Wolverines for another fun, exciting, yet
     somewhat disappointing season.  It is not very easy to get accustomed
     to losing the last game of the season in overtime for the last three
     years...

     1995 Final Four Semis    Maine 4 Mich 3 3OT
     1994 West Regionals      LSSU 5 Mich 4 OT
     1993 Final Four Semis    Maine 4 Mich 3 OT

     Their playoff record (CCHA, NCAA) is 1-4 over the past three years,
     hardly the mark of a "Winning" program like LSSU or Maine.
     Is it just not getting the luck or right bounces, or is there a curse?
      Or does the highly ranked defensive team always prevail over the
     highly ranked offensive squad (except 93).

     After Blair Allison made the fabulous glove save (while on his rear)
     on Mike Legg, and after the nation's leading point scorer, Brendan
     Morrison clanged one off the outside of the post with an open short
     side, and after Madden missed his breakaway, it just wasn't meant to
     be for Michigan.  Mine as well have turned the TV off.

     (I thought BU was the favorite to win the NCAA because of their
     playoff experience.  But I would not say they were the "Class" of the
     field since BU, Maine, and Mich were relatively even all season long.
     I think BU clearly benefitted from the marathon played on Thursday.
     Maine basically played 3 highly intense games in 3 days.  Congrats to
     BU for winning the title and living up to preseason expectations.)

     Back to Michigan, i hope they gained some valuable experience here and
     can build on it for next season.  The Wolverines will have a very
     strong team again and should return to the Final Four in Cincinnati.
     I expect a Maine and Michigan final, but there will be strong
     challenges from CC, BU, Minnesota, and possibly LSSU. (That is simply
     my preseason top 6 teams for 1995-96.  Trying to figure out the rest
     is difficult right now!)

     Winning the CCHA regular season and playoff titles (Ouch!) and
     advancing to the Final Four is expected each year, but I am still
     searching for what it will take for you guys to play on the last day
     of the season.  I would say that over the past four or five years,
     Michigan has iced the fourth best program in terms of on-ice success,
     behind #1 LSSU, #2 BU, #3 Maine.  With the major distinction being a
     coveted NCAA title.

     Mike Knuble:  Thanks for lighting the lamp night in and night out.  I
     was very tough on you as a freshman, only because your body had not
     caught up to your skill level.  But you provided three tremendous
     years of offense and your sniping ability will be sorely missed.
     Thanks for remaining at school for your senior year and now I will be
     forced to root for a Detroit Red Wing.  Best wishes in your NHL
     career.

     Jason Botterill:  Currently suffering a severe case of the sophomore
     jinx.  After a strong freshman campaign and working hard to get
     drafted in the 1994 first round (#20 Dallas), what has happened to you
     since January.  You are invisible on most nights and clearly have tons
     of talent to offer.  (By looking at the play of Brendan Morrison and
     Botterill, it is surprising as to which one the 1995 Canada WJC squad)
     The WOlverines will be looking upon him to help fill the goal scoring
     void left by Knuble's departure.

     As far as the 1995-96 Wolverines roster, here is my best guess:
     Forwards:
     Robb Gordon, Brendan Morrison, Bill Muckalt
     John Madden, Kevin Hilton, Warren Luhning
     Jason Botterill, Mike Legg, FR. Greg Crozier
     John Arnold, Matt Herr, FR. Sean Ritchlin
     FR. Justin Clark, FR. Bob Hayes, FR. Romaninski

     Defense:
     Blake Sloan, Steve Halko
     Harold Schock, FR. Andrew Berenzweig
     Chris Frescoln, Chris Fox
     Peter Bourque

     Goalie:
     Marty Turco
     Greg Mallicke (SOPH. Clarkson transfer)

     As far as the freshmen go, Crozier, Berenzweig and Ritchlin are the
     most touted as of now.  I dont expect any of the underclassmen to turn
     pro or leave for major junior, but only time will tell.

     They should have the strongest offense in the nation with three
     scoring lines.  Just speculating, but i think bill muckalt is the best
     candidate to replace Knuble on Morrison's line.  Muckalt had a strong
     first 2/3 of the season , but tailed off at the end when he was
     separated from gordon.  Muckalt is in the David Oliver mold and his
     sniping abilites should be evident next year.  The Hilton, Madden and
     Luhning line was a big surprise and should again be dangerous next
     year.  Botterill and Greg Crozier, a Pittsburgh Penguin 4th rounder in
     1994 will be looked upon to add some goals.

     The forwards are young and have potential still untapped, witness the
     raw emergence of Luhning. And Morrison is currently on track to break
     the all-time scoring record at Michigan.

     The defense should be led by the top 3 of sloan, halko and schock.
     They are very solid defensively, but I wish they could chip in a few
     more goals.  The depth on defense is a bit of a concern, but Berenson
     will look to Frescoln and Berenzweig, who should be a physical force,
     to step up.

     There are no worries about goaltending unless turco is injured.  He
     stepped in during the first weekend of the season and showed us his
     cat like quickness, drawing comparison to Felix Potvin of Toronto.  He
     made some mistakes in the last three games of the year which led to
     some "bad" goals vs. LSSU, Wisc, and Maine.  It is tough to win a
     title if you give up a tough goal in a big game.  Michigan maniac John
     Haeussler has been raving about Turco's backup, Greg Mallicke.  Turco
     certainly has a shot at breaking the NCAA goalie victory record set by
     Steve Shields.

     Right now, anything short of the 1996 Final Four would be
     disappointing.  As far as the CCHA goes, I think that LSSU is
     Michigans top competition for first place.

     Comments from Michigan fans would be appreciated.

     Jeff Jodzis

     Michigan 93
     Minnesota 95