Sender:
From:
"Philip R. Baumann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 1995 11:52:17 CDT
> St Cloud State got very lucky in recruiting for the 95-96 season.. 4
> quality Minnesota high school players will attend SCSU, including the
> cream of the crop in Minn HS Hockey this year, Matt Cullen, a 6'0 190
> pound center from Moorhead, MN.. If any of you saw it, he was featured on
> ESPN on SSA awhile back.. Cullen was also being recruited by the Univ of
> Minnesota, U of North Dakota, Wisconsin, and Minn-Duluth.. Rumor has it
> that Cullen didn't choose the U of Minn because his dad, a former hockey
> player and head coach at Moorhead HS (Minnesota) didn't like the area..
> Joining Cullen at SCSU next year will be Mark Parrish, from Bloomington
> Jefferson HS (Minn), Ryan Frisch from Moorhead, MN, and Matt Bailey from
> Elk River, MN..

Maine also showed some interest in Cullen, but was a bit late to be
considered seriously by him.  My son is on the Moorhead HS team with
Matt (and his brother Mark) and we've known the family for several
years.  The rumor that Matt didn't choose the Gophers because his
father didn't like the area is a bit off the mark.  Unlike most
Minnesota rink rats, Matt has never been a particular Gopher fan or
had playing for the Gophers as his ambition (unlike Ryan Kraft).
Much more important, I think, was that the Gophers showed less
interest in him than other schools, he liked St. Cloud State (he's an
excellent student), and he liked the hockey program -- the
facilities, the coaches, and the potential of making an early
contribution (St. Cloud graduates 11 seniors this year).  Matt, by
the way, has great hands and is considered perhaps the best two-way
forward in the state.  The Bemidji coach described him as "a Picasso
with the puck, and a bit-bull without it."  Also from Moorhead, Ryan
Frisch is one of the fastest high school players in Minnesota, and
should thrive on the big ice at the National Hockey Center.

Philip R. Baumann                     Phone:  (218) 236-2943
Department of Political Science         Fax:  (218) 236-2168
Moorhead State University
Moorhead, Minnesota  56563    E-mail: [log in to unmask]

                       Moorhead VFW Bantam A
         ***** 1994 Bantam Hockey National Champions *****