Sender:
From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 1995 14:50:11 EST
Luiz wrote, in part ...
>>Only games between teams with 20 or more Division I games scheduled are counte
>>as 20 Division I games are required for eligibility to the NCAA tournament,
>>and only games between eligible teams are used in the NCAA selection process.
>
>>43    43  Army                9 of 11    1- 8- 0       4.44      24.00
>
>Why is Army included at all? They only play 11 Division I games.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I changed that column (9 of 11) this
week.  A Division I team needs 20 games against Division I opponents to
be eligible for consideration.  However, only the games against teams
under consideration count in the ranking used by the NCAA selection
committee (RPI), so only those games are used in the HEAL ranking.

Army will play 20 games against Division I opponents, but only 11
against the 44 eligible teams (eligible because those teams played at
least 20 games).

So, last week this column would have said "9 of 20", but Army has only 2
remaining Division I games.  "9 of 11" seems more appropriate.

Even the current definition lacks somewhat because conference tournament
games are not included but will be considered by the NCAA, and by HEAL
as the tournaments progress.

Hope this helps,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]