Sender:
From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 1994 12:39:29 CDT
From today's (10/3/94) St. Paul Pioneer Press:

1994-95 Gophers hockey roster

No. Player             Pos Ht   Wt   Age  Year  Hometown*

2   Greg Zwakman      D  6-2  215  21   Jr    Edina, MN
4   Brian LaFleur     D  5-11 190  19   So    Bloomington, MN
5   Dan Trebil (A)    D  6-3  215  20   Jr    Bloomington, MN
6   Charlie Wasley    D  6-1  185  20   Jr    Edina, MN
7   Ryan Kraft        F  5-9  179  18   Fr    Moorhead, MN
8   Joe Pankratz      F  5-10 165  18   Fr    Bloomington, MN
9   Casey Hankinson   C  6-1  190  18   Fr    Edina, MN
10  Scott Bell (C)    C  5-11 190  23   Sr    Inver Grove Hts, MN
11  Bobby Dustin      F  5-9  180  21   Jr    Roseville, MN
12  Jason Seils       C  5-8  180  18   Fr    South St. Paul, MN
13  Jay Moser         D  6-2  190  21   Jr    Cottage Grove, MN
15  Clint Johnson     F  6-2  210  18   Fr    Duluth, MN
16  Brandon Steege    W  5-11 180  22   Jr    Burnsville, MN
17  Dave Larson       W  6-0  205  22   Jr    South St. Paul, MN
18  Andy Brink        C  5-9  175  20   Jr    Bemidji, MN
19  Justin McHugh (C) W  5-10 187  21   Sr    Minnetonka, MN
20  Mike Crowley      D  5-11 175  19   Fr    Bloomington, MN
21  Brian Bonin       C  5-10 182  20   Jr    White Bear Lake, MN
22  Jesse Bertogliat  W  5-8  185  21   Jr    Cloquet, MN
23  Dan Woog          C  5-10 175  22   So    South St. Paul, MN
25  Brent Godbout     W  6-1  195  19   So    Woodbury, MN
27  Jed Fiebelkorn    W  6-4  210  22   Sr    Maple Grove, MN
28  Jason Gadbout     D  5-11 190  18   Fr    Woodbury, MN
29  Dan Hendrickson   W  5-10 185  19   So    Richfield, MN
30  Jeff Moen         G  6-2  185  20   Jr    Roseville, MN
31  Jeff Callinan     G  5-10 170  21   Sr    Minnetonka, MN
32  Will Anderson     F  5-9  183  21   Fr    White Bear Lake, MN#
33  Nick Checco       C  5-11 185  19   So    Bloomington, MN
35  Steve Debus       G  5-9  170  21   So    Rochester, MN
(C): Co-captain
(A): Alternate captain

PAM'S NOTES:
*  Hometown wasn't in the paper.  I've culled these from past programs.
** The paper lists him as a Sr.  That's an error.  The Gophers have no senior
defensemen.
#  I'm just guessing this one.  Will Anderson's really the only surprise on the
roster.  Probably a walk-on.  If I'm thinking of the right guy (and heaven knows
there are enough Andersons in Minnesota that I could be wrong), he captained the
St. Paul Vulcans last year and is a former WBL teammate of Bonin's.
   LaFleur changed his number (from 12), as did Steege (from 13).
   Moser sat out last year after transferring from St. Cloud.
   Bell sat out last year recovering from back surgery.
   Steege sat out last year after repeated concussions.
   Debus sat out last year for lack of a HS math class (prop 48).
   Mike McAlpine (#3 last year) is sitting out this year with shoulder problems.
   Both Hillman brothers are gone from the roster.  I had heard somewhere that
one of them had academic problems.  Heard nothing about the other, though.
   Also not rostered is D Brett Abrahamson who was red-shirted last year.  I
THINK I heard he will play with the Vulcans this year.
   Casey Hankinson is wearing his brother Pete's old number (9).  Brother Ben's
old number (19) was already taken by senior McHugh.

   Players lost:  F: Jeff Nielsen, Joe Dziedzic, Tony Bianchi
D: Chris McAlpine, Eric Means
(Plus Fs Craig Johnson & Darby Hendrickson, who both turned pro rather than
return from Olympic team.)
All but Bianchi and Means signed NHL contracts.

   Freshmen:  F: Kraft, Pankratz, Hankinson, Seils, Johnson, Anderson
D:  Crowley, J. Godbout
-----------------------
Accompanying article in St. Paul paper:

Woog looks to freshman [sic] for scoring

From Staff Reports

Coming off a trip to the 1994 final four last April, the Gophers hockey team
opens practice this afternoon for the 1994-95 season.

Coach Doug Woog, entering his 10th season at Minnesota, needs to find proven
scorers before the Gophers can plan a return trip to the NCAA final four, which
will be in Providence, R.I.

The Gophers (25-13-4 overall in 1993-94) open with a Western Collegiate Hockey
Association game at Minnesota-Duluth on Oct. 21.  They will play a 2 p.m.
intrasquad game Friday and another Oct. 14 at Mariucci Arena.

"I'm concerned that in size and physical play we'll be in the bottom third (of
the standings),"  Woog said.  "The biggest concern is scoring goals.  We didn't
score a lot last year, although we got a lot of goals in timely fashion."

Despite winning their second consecutive WCHA playoff title last season, the
Gophers outscored the opposition only 151 to 142.

However, Minnesota was 12-3 in one-goal games.  The Gophers were 5-1-4 in
overtime games, including a 3-2 victory over St. Cloud State in the WCHA playoff
final and a 2-1 triumph over Massachusetts-Lowell in the NCAA quarterfinals.

Eleven lettermen return at forward, but only two are proven scorers -- junior
center Brian Bonin (24 goals last year) and senior wing and co-captain Justin
McHugh (15 goals).

The other senior co-captain, center Scott Bell, is coming back after missing
last season after undergoing back surgery.  He is a potential goal scorer.

The Gophers lost Craig Johnson (22 goals in 1992-93) to the pros, and 1993-94
scoring leader Jeff Nielsen (29 goals) graduated.

Woog may be relying on four freshman forwards -- Clint Johnson, Duluth East;
Ryan Kraft, Moorhead;  Joe Pankratz, Bloomington Jefferson (and the St. Paul
Vulcans), and Jason Seils, South St. Paul, who scored in bunches in high school
and juniors.

Also returning for the Gophers are Greg Zwakman, Brian LaFleur, Dan Trebil, and
Charlie Wasley.

{end quoted stuff -- obviously, it's quoted, or I would have spelled it "NC$$
Phinal Phour"...}
----------------------------------
If you've read this far into the message, you must be enough of a Gopher
follower that you might be interested in my speculative starting line-up.
(Either that or you saw how long this post was and assumed it was from Mike!
:-) )  Wooger has enough back-seat coaches as it is, but I think this lineup
ought to start at least one game of the season:

F:  McHugh, Bonin, Brink
D:  Trebil, Zwakman
G:  Callinan OR Moen

The reason this would be neat is that (I think) all of these players were Big
Ten All-Academic last year.  All but Brink were also WCHA All-Academic.
They're also very good players.
I expect this lineup is 4/6 right.  Bonin and McHugh have great chemistry
together and could be 2/3 of the starting line.  Trebil will probably start, but
more likely he and Zwakman will be paired with the inexperienced defensemen.
And Moen and Callinan rotated in goal last year, and I don't see why this year
should be any different (barring injury).

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]      1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
                                  1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour!!!
                                        Ski-U-Mah!!!