Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 1994 15:30:35 -0400
Greg Sorenson writes:
>Also, now that I've seen post-game info from the Shrine
>game, did anyone ever post player/coaches rosters?

I know they were posted a while ago, but here they are with the
players listed by lines, since I know some people were interested in
hearing what players played with who.  This is being sent to both
HOCKEY-L and hockey3.  Lines came from the official scoresheet.

BTW, it was said that SportsChannel would have the rebroadcast of the
game Thursday night at 8 pm Eastern (4/14/94).  That may not be the
same in all areas, but keep your eyes on your local listings to see if
it pops up where you are, maybe at another time or on another day.  I
could not find it in the listings for New England SportsChannel.

                               EAST

   LEFT WING                  CENTER                    RIGHT WING
26 Shane Henry              7 Craig Conroy           24 Brian Farrell
   Mass Lowell                Clarkson                  Harvard

17 Bob Chebator             9 Mike Taylor            13 Jay Murphy
   New Hampshire              Northeastern              RIT

11 Rob Atkinson            19 Lenny Pereira          31 Cal Ingraham
   Merrimack                  SUNY-Plattsburgh          Maine

27 Mike Shustak             5 Bruce Gardiner          8 Kurt Mallett
   Holy Cross                 Colgate                   Salem State

              LEFT DEFENSE                  RIGHT DEFENSE
           10 Sean McCann                 3 Jim Pinti
              Harvard                       SUNY-Fredonia

           12 Sean O'Brien                4 Michael Spalla
              Princeton                     Boston College

            2 Derek Maguire               6 Dave Slifka
              Harvard                       Alabama-Huntsville

                              GOAL
                           30 Dwayne Roloson
                              Mass Lowell

                           30 Geoff Finch
                              Brown

COACHES: Bob Gaudet, Brown; Stu Irving, Merrimack; Bill Kangas, Williams.

                               WEST

   LEFT WING                  CENTER                    RIGHT WING
21 Kurt Miller             14 Clayton Beddoes        26 David Oliver
   Lake Superior              Lake Superior             Michigan

19 Chris Marinucci         10 John Engfer            24 Mike Schwengler
   Minnesota-Duluth           St Thomas                 Wis-Eau Claire

16 Jason Zent              17 Blaine Moore           22 Colin Ward
   Wisconsin                  Wisconsin                 Western Michigan

 3 Dean Fedorchuk           5 Frank Cirone           20 Jeff Nielsen
   Alaska-Fairbanks           Wis-Stevens Point         Minnesota

              LEFT DEFENSE                  RIGHT DEFENSE
           23 Shawn Reid                  6 Jeff Wells
              Colorado College              Bowling Green

            2 Bob Marshall                4 Chris McAlpine
              Miami                         Minnesota

           15 Chris Morque                9 Greg Joyce
              Bemidji State                 Wis-River Falls

           18 Mick Kempffer
              Wis-Stevens Point

                              GOAL
                           31 Jamie Ram
                              Michigan Tech

                           31 Rich Shulmistra
                              Miami

                           35 Grant Sjerven
                              St Cloud

COACHES: Joe Baldarotta, Wis-Stevens Point; Bill Butters, Minnesota;
 George Gwozdecky, Miami.

Awards were given for the game MVPs and individual skills competition
winners (shooting accuracy, fastest skater).  Charlie has posted the
MVPs, but I don't remember who won the others except that CC's Shawn
Reid was the fastest skater.  I think Harvard's Brian Farrell won both
fastest skater and shooting accuracy for the East.

The DivII-III kids were impressive.  Plattsburgh's Lenny Pereira had
blazing speed and a good shot, and he nearly scored a couple of times.
Heather talked to him after and he was excited just to be playing with
DivI players (paired with Ingraham and Atkinson).  That seemed to be
how the other DivII-III players approached it, too.  Some coaches
thought they as a group were the hardest working of all the players
and probably felt that they had something to prove.  Mike Shustak of
Holy Cross, Jay Murphy of RIT, and Chris Morque of Bemidji were three
others who stood out in my mind.  It just supported my belief that the
best DivII-III kids could have been good in DivI too.

It was kind of funny to see the Hobey runnerup, Craig Conroy, take a
run at the Hobey winner, Chris Marinucci, in the first period.

Early on I wondered if the game would be like an NHL All-Star Game or
if we'd see some hitting.  The first shift was pretty boring.  Then
the second lines came on and Northeastern's Mike Taylor crushed almost
every West player on the ice, bringing the crowd alive.  That set the
tone for the rest of the game - not *very* physical, but more than
expected (and more so than some regular season games I saw this year).

In the third, UNH's Bob Chebator and Minnesota's Chris McAlpine ran
into each other at center ice and cross checked for a few seconds,
then started throwing punches.  Big surprise since #4 was involved! :-)
Both went off for double minors - a Shrine game record that may never
be broken. :-)

There was some joking in the stands about BU's Doug Friedman being
absent from the game...but clearly, it was because BU's hockey banquet
was held the same evening.  Friedman isn't to blame, but it is a good
cause and teams should try to schedule their dinners around it so their
players can appear.  There were some players who were named but chose
not to play - some who said ahead of time that they would not appear.
I hope this is the last season that this happens.  Congratulations to
those players who did make it.

As Carol posted last week, next year's game is at the new Mariucci
Arena in Minneapolis, MN.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93