From:
Mike Long <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1993 16:19:57 EST
>Date:         Mon, 20 Dec 1993 15:56:00 PST
>Sender: College Hockey discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
>From: John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Which brings me to another comment (sorry).  In Ann Arbor, when Michigan
>fails to convert on the power play and the PA announces that the opposition
>is again at full strength, about 3000 people respond, "AND THEY STILL SUCK!"
> But this Saturday, I noticed an alarming trend.  For years, the PA
>announcer would say, "UIC (or whoever we're playing), full strength" which
>would result in the above response.  On Saturday, whenever UIC came out of
>the box the PA announcer said, "Both teams, full strength."  It certainly
>curtailed the cheer.  I wonder if this was mandated by the university
>because it didn't approve of the chant.  Anyone?  One did manage to occur,
>because it was a 4-on-4 and UIC was coming out of the box first.  Since both
>teams wouldn't be at full strength, the PA man was forced to say, "UIC, full
>strength" which brought a resounding response.

Cornell fans used the same chant in Lynah Rink ("the snake pit of
college hockey" :-) a couple of years ago.  At some point (around my
sophmore year, '89-'90?) the announcer stopped the practice of
announcing players returning from the penalty box entirely.  The
Faithful were, of course, up to the challenge.  Now, some fans watch
the penalty clock and shout out "<X> returns to full strength!" at the
proper time, and the crowd responds appropriately.
--
Mike Long (Cornell '92 & '93)                     [log in to unmask]
VLSI Design Engineer                              voice: (617)461-4030