From:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1993 16:33:16 -0500
>We have all been jipped from a higher grade that we deserved/earned
> by teachers. Tory cannot be entirely, if at all, to blame here. My
> feelings are 1) Grades are _not_ an indicaiton of an individual's
>academic or intellectual capacity/abilities, and 2) Athletes should
>not be forced to be geniuses!!

(Posted by Johanna Wise, BTW)

Well, where to begin. First off, let's say that, hypothetically, Tory
was jipped from a higher grade at some point. That's not the point.
As John Edwards pointed out, he had a fairly low GPA and I doubt that
it was a result of ONE grade. I also doubt that all his teachers jipped
him in allof his classes. But you're right, that is not the point

The point is: did Walsh knowingly recruit someone that he thought
might be academically ineligible? Or more to the point, if there
was any doubt, why didn't he mention it to admissions' people and/or
the NC$$?

On the other points you made, first off, when I am hired for a job,
one of the factors that comes into play is my GPA. Same thing when
I was looking at colleges. There has to be some way to compare people
and grades are the way we have accepted that be done. The way you
put it makes it sound as though we should disregard grades altogether,
or at least for athletes. I agree that they are not the be all and end
all, but they should have a role. Second off, athletes should not be
forced to be genuises. Hmm? Well, then why not drop the guise of
the student-athlete? As long as athletes are enrolled as students and
taking courses and must do so for eligibility, then they ARE
students. Not genuises, but students. They need a 2.0 to be eligible
to play just like I need a 2.0 to keep most of my grants and loans.

You don't have to be a genuis to get a C average at most schools.
If you're not a genius, you shouldn't go to the few schools where maybe
you do have to be a genius to get a C avg.

Sheesh!
BRI