From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1993 10:51:03 EDT
Dave writes, in part:
>... Why does college hockey need the NC$$? ...

   my 2 cents worth ...

   Colleges need the NCAA to organize and control college athletics on a
   national basis.  The NCAA is most important to the college president,
   though we probably hear most from the NCAA dealings with athletic
   departments.

   Although you might get some support from athletic departments wrt
   withdraw of college hockey from NCAA rule, it would be impossible to
   convince an administration of the overall benefits.  College
   administrations already face strong opposition to athletics from
   people that would put academics and athletics at odds.  A move away
   from the NCAA would, in my opinion, be viewed as a means of throwing
   away the rules so that the rich and immoral get richer, and the poor
   get poorer.

   I'm not even sure that you could get real support from any athletic
   department, since withdrawl from NCAA in hockey would imply that the
   department would then have to deal with YET ANOTHER set of rules from
   hockey's NCAA replacement.

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]