From:
"Charles M. Shub" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1993 13:47:17 MDT
Well, Cadet Field house is starting to install the ice for summer
sports camps and so on, so i dropped by to observe the process.  I was
promptly drafted, so I can honestly say I've installed the markings.

The procedure seemed to be to put down a thin coating of water which
then freezes.  The red, blue, and goal lines are made with red and blue
tissue paper, and the application process is to moisten the
surface, lay the tissue paper in place, and then roll more water on
top of the paper.  The whole thing then freezes into place.  The five
large circles, the goalie crease outlines, and the referee area
outline are done similarly.  At air force, they have an appliance that
looks a bit like either a sheet rock tape dispenser or a packing tape
dispenser that allows the worker to roll the tape out.  The side of
the appliance is attached to a tube so the whole thing acts like a
compass arm, and the compass is then used for getting perfect circles.

The face off circles are also tissue paper.  The area inside the
crease and the logos are put on with "ice paint" that seems to be
about the consistancy of jello.

From what the folk said, the striping and painting will take most of a
day, and then it will be another day of building up the ice thickness
before people can skate.

even at 52, you can learn new things.

charlie shub
[log in to unmask]  -or-  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369