Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1993 14:51:00 EST
  Earlier, Steve Christopher wondered why shadowing wasn't a more common
tactic.  I htink it is a quite common tactic and I've seen it employed
at both the NHL and College level.  However, I think there are several types
of shadowing that are practiced:

 1.  The One on One - This is where one team tries to have its _checking_
     line out on the ice when the other team's _scoring_ line is out.  And
     then assigns its best defensive forward to shadow the opposing teams
     best offensive forward.  Just tune in any NHL game involving Wayne Gretzky
     or Mario Lemeiux (sp) to see this tactic.  I think this is the type
     of shadowing that Steve was talking about.

 2.  Generic -  If you watch closely on many plays that start in a team's
     own end when they are breaking out to start a rush up the ice,  I
     think you'll find that one of the most often used forechecking schemes
     is to have one or two forward forechecking aggresively and one hanging
     back in center ice.  Then when the other team comes out of their zone,
     the player who was hanging back at center ice will frequently cover the
     open winger coming out and effectively _shadow_ him.  This doesn't
     necessarily match one player against another, it's kind of like playing
     a match-up zone defense in basketball.

I managed to pick up a few of these tricks after taking an Intro to Hockey
phys ed course at Cornell with none other that the _legendary_ Mike Schafer
as instructor (Kill Schafer Kill).  One of the things he taught us was the
_standard_ break out and defensive plays.  Of course, our skating skill
just didn't let run the plays to perfection.  (I am still amazed at what
the players can do while sliding on two little blades of metal).  So
its my guess that if you watch away from the puck a little more on the
games this weekend, that you'll see that shadowing goes on all the time.

Apologies to all for the many typos above.  I just don't seem to be able
to get may fingers moving in the right direction today.

Eric Hoffman
email - eh4131@albnyvms@bitnet
Cornell '88, SUNY-Albany ??
LET'S GO RED!!  (Hopefully the Faithful will be back in form this weekend,
                 maybe with a few rounds of _Go Start the Plane!_ ;-)