From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:24:31 -0800
--- [log in to unmask] wrote:
> . . . Grandfathering is foolish and unfair. Why not just have a
> rule that says a D3 institution can opt for D1 status (and scholarships) in
> one sport? . . . This rule with grandfathering has the potential to curb the growth of D1
> hockey.

Please explain further; I don’t understand how grandfathering has the potential to curb the growth
of D1 hockey.  If you mean the rule that if you give scholarships you have to be D1 in all sports,
I agree completely.  But I will argue that the rule WITHOUT grandfathering not only has the
potential to curb the growth of D1 hockey, it weakens current D1 hockey by making four schools
less competitive (unless you like President Hull’s definition of "competitive").

I very much like your proposed rule (all D3 schools can be D1 in one sport).  That rule would be
both fair and consistent.  Not only does it have the potential for fostering the growth of D1
hockey, but D1 in other sports also.

However, given the way this issue evolved, a rule like that wouldn’t have been even proposed with
any serious chance of consideration.  The issue was not “I want athletic scholarships like SLU.”
It was the more dog-in-the-manger type “I don’t have athletic scholarships, I don’t want athletic
scholarships, and I don’t think Johns Hopkins should have them either.”

It’s indisputable that grandfathering situations are INCONSISTENT.  As to whether they’re UNFAIR,
that’s another issue.  You – for reasons I think are quite valid – think that the legislation that
got passed is unfair.  There are arguments on the other side that are – at least in my opinion –
also valid.  Those points were made, debated, and the NCAA made their decision.

If you didn’t like the result, sorry you can’t win ‘em all.  If you didn’t like the process, well,
this was democracy in action.  I refer you to a cliché. “There are two things you don’t want to
see how they’re made: sausage and legislation.”  This was legislation.

Clay