Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 21:15:01 -0700
Russia defeated Canada 3-2 tonight in Halifax to take the World Junior
title.  Canada held a 2-1 lead but could not hold it.  The Russians were
clearly the best team in the tournament and excelled at all phases of the
game.  Other than defeating Canada it was a pleasure to watch them pass
the puck around with precision and style.

Finland defeated the US also by a 3-2 score to take the Bronze.  In a
classy gesture the Finns carried Canadian flags when they received their
medals as a way of saying thank you for the hospitality shown by the
people of the Halifax area.  Having vacationed there many times I can
attest to the friendliness of the Maritimers.

The tournament in Halifax shattered prior attendance records.  Over
240,000 attended with most games (including those not involving Canada)
sold out.  I'll be looking forward to next year's tournament in Finland,
there is not better spectator event.

Arthur Berman
North Vancouver, BC
GO GIANTS!!! GO BU!!!