From:
Joe LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 14:50:18 -0500
Here we go, normally, I watch most of the EC(Z)AC on TV, but ooops!

I'm not optimistic.  I am really worried about my alma mater.  I sense a
serious downturn here.

Joe LaCour
Clarkson '77/'78

The Survey said:
> 1. The increasingly poor showing of the ECAC relative to the CCHA, WCHA,
> and HEA, is due to
>
> a) statistical fluctuations, they will be back
*** some will, most won't

> b) poor administration, not interested enough in promoting the league
*** administrations are generally good.  It is the commitment I question.

> c) difficulty of recruiting at smallish expensive (mostly) private
> schools vs. larger schools
*** If I was doing an East vs. West, I'd agree.  Most HEA schools, however,
are in the same category.  HEA's advantage may be the proximity to Boston
and its atmosphere, which is better(?) that Potsdam, Ithaca, Troy(!), or
Hanover.

> d) difficulty in recruiting due to (perceived or otherwise) higher
> academic standards and/or specialities (e.g. RPI mostly science and
> engineering and therefore not for future lawyers, etc.)
*** The Academic Index has been a source of controversy for years.  But if
Harvard is getting the lawyers and RPI is getting the engineers, who is
getting the better hockey player??

> e) taking away of talent by the MAAC and HEA
*** The MAAC is bleeding the 3rd and 4th liners off the ECAC rosters.  It
think the 1st 2 lines vs. the other 3 leagues may be equal, but then depth
takes over and you can't win in modern college hockey with just 2 lines.

> f) lack of TV schedule (see (b))
*** Impact will be felt in this year's recruiting class.  The future may be
internet broadcasts.

> g) lack of money (see (b))
*** Lack of money at the Ivy schools???  HAH!  Lack of money at Clarkson,
RPI?  BULL!  If it were so, why are they building new structures??

> h) all of the above
*** in part
> i) none of the above
> j) other __________
>
> 2. If you dont like multiple choice questions, answer the question in 25
> words or less :-)
> This weekend:  UNH 2 - 0; UM-L 2-0; CCT 0 - 2; SLU 0 - 2.
Come March:  One bid, one game, one loss.