From:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:06:01 -0400
Although, as a UNH fan and certified BC hater, I should be ecstatic at these
defections, the departure of these two, plus Orpik only diminishes the
college game.  For college hockey to be truly exciting, you need great
players performing.  And Kobasew and Kolanos were certainly that.

While you certainly cannot deny any kid the chance to pursue his dream, IMHO
the proliferation of NHL and minor league clubs over the past few years has
really had a real negative impact on college hockey.  If there were only
30-40 professional teams total, then do think all but the elite would jump
ship?  But with 30 in the NHL and another 50 or so in the minors, there are
a hell of a lot of open spots every year, available to every kid (college
and Major Juniors) who thinks he has what it takes.

The sad thing about all this is that, for most, the pinnacle of their hockey
careers is in college.  I can only speak about UNH with any kind of
knowledge.  In the last four years, UNH has had three players leave early -
Eric Nickulas, Derek Bekar, and Jayme Filipowicz.  As I write this, all
three are without a pro contract for the coming season, as they were dumped
by the Bruins, Caps and Predators, respectively.  And need I say that they
not only do they not have contracts, they don't have a college degree
either.  I wonder if they now think it was worth leaving early.

I wish that guys like these could come back to their school (maybe they
will) and tell the next wave of potential pros to hang in there, enjoy the
four years in school, play hard and your chance will come.  After all, if
you are good enough, you will make it.

Greg Ambrose