From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 12:04:46 -0500
I didn't see the cross-check in question here.

I'd support making a cross-check (or any other stick foul) to the head an
automatic major.

Checks from behind, I'm not so sure.  I really wasn't happy with the results
of when USA hockey made a check from behind an automatic misconduct.  I saw
several instances of players who turned suddenly, just as a check was being
delivered, resulting in players unfairly getting misconducts.  Some coaches
were accused (though it seemed rather far-fetched to me) of "teaching"
players to turn their backs to draw checking from behind penalties.  I've
seen checks from behind that were, in my opinion, deserving at most of a
minor penalty.   Without a doubt, some checks from behind are deserving of
majors.  But in my opinion, not all are.

The problem with making every instance of a penalty an automatic major is
that if, in the opinion of the referee, the act isn't deserving of a major,
then many referees won't call anything at all.  The result is that the
penalty starts to get called less than it should be.

Clay