From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 19:21:37 EST
>Originally submitted  by Kraig Ehm <[log in to unmask]>
>Forwarded to Hockey-L by Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>

> Would you consider a crosscheck to the head worthy of a 5 minute major
call?

Yes, a game misconduct and possible suspension if there was intent to harm.

According to NHL rules a minor or a major penalty can be assessed, at the
discretion of the referee. A major would carry an automatic game misconduct
and a $100 fine  according to 1999 NHL rules. However, it doesn't state
anywhere in that rule (rule #50), what occurs if an above the shoulder
crosscheck would up it a notch into Rule #43 intent to injure.

>The North Dakota player (Mike Commodore) only received a 2 minute penalty.
Seems like any infraction carried out above the shoulders should get much
more than 2 minutes NHL or Division 1 rules.

>Our player was on laying the ice 10 -15 minutes before having to be helped
off.

Slashing gets a minor, or major or a game misconduct on the discretion of the
referee in the NHL

Slashing that injures and opponent gets a major and a game misconduct in the
NHL.

I chalk this up to inept or blind  referees.

Vicki