From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 22:10:04 -0400
Saw this in the Globe agate yesterday, although I haven't seen it anywhere
else....

First team
Forwards: Jeff Hamilton, Yale; Jeff Halpern, Princeton; Damien Prescott, Brown
Defense: Ray Giroux, Yale; Steve Shirreffs, Princeton
Goal: Alex Westlund, Yale

Second team
Forwards: Scott Bertoli, Princeton; Jon Sturgis, Dartmouth; Henry Higdon, Harvard
Defense: Daryl Jones, Yale; Jimmy Andersson, Brown
Goal: Jason Elliott, Cornell

Player of the Year: Giroux
Rookie of the Year: Steve Moore, Harvard

My comments:  No tremendous surprises -- the first team is obvious.  I
suppose one could quibble about Higdon, who is a very good player --
maybe David Whitworth, Matt Cumming or even Steve Moore could have
taken that spot.  I haven't seen honorable mentions -- Scott Stirling
earned one for sure.  By my calculations, Prescott was tops in points with
9-8-17, Hamilton had 11-5-16 and Halpern had 7-8-15. Bertoli was next with
5-9-14, followed by Giroux with 1-10-11.  Certainly a solid year for the
Ivies, with 4 of 5 teams in the ECAC final five and two NCAA qualifiers.
Next year could be better if Cornell, Princeton and Harvard overcome
the injury bug.  Dartmouth loses some key guys (including Sturgis and
Whitworth), but has a huge freshmen class coming in.  Brown also
suffers some tough graduation losses, particularly on defense, but
received excellent play from the youngsters down the stretch.

-Geoff