From:
Tami Kuhn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tami Kuhn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 19:02:49 -0500
I saw the game on television, not in person.  Also, I am a Spartan so
take all of that into account.....

The game winning goal was shown over and over after the game ended and
the fights were going on.  I could not tell whether or not the puck
crossed the line before time ran out.  The hotly contested part of game
winning goal seems to be face-off immediately before.  Apparently
[you'll correct me if I am wrong :)], the team in the defensive position
is supposed to get the chance to "set" their defense after the offensive
player has committed his/her offense by putting his/her stick on the ice
THEN the defensive player sets his/her stick and the puck is dropped.
The MSU player in the face off circle never "set" his stick.  It wasn't
on the ice when the puck was dropped.  He argued with the linesmen
rather than covering his man.  You know the outcome.

With regard to the fight ... they are never pretty.  I was furious with
the announcer from WMU who continued to assert that MSU is known for
this type of behavior and should be disciplined by the league for
starting these fights.  He made it sound as if this is a weekly
happening at all MSU games.  It is not and no one in the program
condones this kind of behavior.  I'm sure the bus ride home was VERY
unpleasant not to mention what the team is facing this week during
practice.
--
Tami L. Kuhn
Michigan State University