From:
Kirk the Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kirk the Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 19:53:29 -0600
On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Adam Wodon-Around the Rinks wrote:

> Jason Blake is a 22-year old sophomore.  He played in the USHL, then went to
> Ferris State. He transferred and is playing again after taking the mandatory
> year off in 1995-96.

The scoop from a local:

Jason Blake should be listed as a sophomore.  As Adam said, he played one
year at Ferris State, then transferred and took the mandatory year off.
But, there's more to the story: (2 things I have in mind, actually)

THE SCOOP

It is his first year in the WCHA, but last year various coaches told North
Dakota Coach Dean Blais that, no matter how well Blake played, they would
not vote for him for WCHA Rookie of the Year because of his year at Ferris
State.  Coach Blais thinks that Blake should certainly be eligible because
it IS his first year in the WCHA, which is, literally, the criteria
necessary.  (Nonetheless, as was pointed out in the local paper, it seems
that at this rate he has a chance at WCHA Player of the Year :)

EVEN MORE SCOOP
Apparently, a few years back he took some classes (I believe in Canada?),
and it turns out that he took too many and was considered enough of a
student to use up a year of his eligibility.  Last year Coach Blais/UND/
whoever-does-these-things unsuccessfully appealed to the NC$$ to
reconsider and give an exception for Blake.  They will try again this
year.

BONUS SCOOP
If the exception is not granted, this is the last year "sophomore Jason
Blake" will be eligible to play.

Kirk

---
If you're planning a trip to North Dakota, |      Al-ways Kirk-a-Cola
the land where trees are a commodity and   |
the people are few, don't forget your Visa | http://webboy.cs.und.nodak.edu
because they don't take American Express.  |           /~keisenbe/