From:
Jeffrey Partnow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeffrey Partnow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 1995 14:10:35 +0300
>Has anybody heard anything recently as to if and when a decision will be
>made whether or not to expand the WCHA?I have heard that they want to go to
>2 6-team divisions,because right now the Final Five format is a bit awkward
>with its play-in between the 4 and 5 seeds in St.Paul.
========
As I posted a few weeks ago, Mankato State continues to have problems in
their attempts to go DivI. In addition to the usual financial and political
constraints which Minnesota (the state, not the U) imposes, the latest
impediment is a gender-equity problem with the NC$$.

NDSU apparently DOES have tons of $$$, a facility, and a few natural-born
rivalries. But, after some exploratory work last year, they seem to have
settled into a torpor (or maybe a stupor, I've never been there :-) ) about
DivI hockey.

There are still rumors about S.California schools (fired up by by Di$ney),
and possibly Weber State.

AND--there are rumors about an ultimate merging of the CDCHA and WCHA into
a Western Supeconference with 3 or 4 divisions. Seems unlikely that much of
this will happen, though, until there are a few more DivI teams actually
out there, as opposed to thinking about it.

--Jeff Partnow
--Fairbanks, where the Nanooks will be proud to welcome the whole CCHA, and
especially Mr. Mason and Michigan State, starting in 1995-96.