From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 1995 11:05:11 EST
MTU came to the game ready to play.   Haven been beaten once by UND, MTU
was not going to let it happen again.   Yet, UND was never really out of the
game. Even as the buzzer sounded, UND was putting pressure on MTU. MTU had
to play a full 60 minute game to gain the win.

MTU got the first score of the game when Jeff Mikesch stuffed one into the net.
Naumenko got a long shot from the point to even the score during a powerplay.
Overall, the first period was very even with a lot of coast to coast play. MTU
didn't get a lot of shots off though.

During the second period, Teeder Wynne was left alone in front of Caravaggio.
Hryniuk noted this and fed Wynne for a wrist shot on goal. Prokopetz late in
the period stole the puck and put in a scoring shot from the slot as he was
being tripped by a UND player. I would give UND the edge after the second
period. They looked stronger and MTU was chasing them to the puck.

However, the third period was different. MTU got quickly into the game and
stole the game from UND. Pat Mikesch scored on a break away from the right
side, after a feed from Figliomeni.  Then Brent Peterson stuffed a rebound in
on a powerplay.  UND was not ready to give up. Mitani came from behind the net
out to the left and scored on a 10 foot wrist shot.  A minute later, MTU's Jeff
Mikesch scored on a one on one.  A half minute later, UND's Hryniuk scored
on a 3 on 2 break away.  Randy Stevens got MTU's last score on a10 foot shot
from the left on a powerplay. UND refused to be beaten.  They scored with
26 seconds left when Brian Johnson got an unassisted goal.

After reviewing game films, the coaches noted that Caravaggio was missing
a lot of long shots.  It appeared that he wasn't not seeing them. So they
sent him to an optometrist Saturday AM. Sure enoung, he needed corrective
lenses. Last night, he was playing with contacts for the first time.  Any
one who wears glasses knows there is a period of adjustment when changing
perscriptions. However, Luciano look good last night. The only long shot to
beat him was Naumenko's first blast from the point.  It appeared that
Caravaggio was screened on that shot.

Boxes and Stats:

UND 1 1 4 - 6
MTU 1 1 3 - 5

Goalie Saves:

UND Lemke           3     7 12 - 22
MTU Caravaggio   8   10   6 - 24

Powerplays:

UND 1 of 7
MTU 2 of 4

Ist Period:

Scoring:

MTU J. Mikesch 3 ( Figliomeni, Savage) 7:19
UND Naumenko (Johnson, Wynne) 14:07 ppg

Penalties:

    MTU Harris high stick 3:42
    MTU Dupont holding  14:00
    MTU K. Peterson holding 19:13

2nd Period:

Scoring:

UND Wynne  15 (Hryniuk) 2:55
MTU Prokopetz 2 (unassisted) 17:34

Penalties:

    MTU Figloimeni holding 4:00
    UND Kirton holding 4:46
    UND Rappana holding 8:19
    MTU P. Mikesch interference 8:39
    MTU Figloimeni too many men on ice 12:42
    UND Pivetz tripping 14:05

3rd Period:

Scoring:

MTU Pat Mikesch 7 (Figliomeni)  1:25
MTU B. Peterson 15 (Wright, Stevens) 4:25 ppg
UND Mitani (Trew, Pivetz) 8:22
MTU J. Mikesch 4 (Figliomeni) 9:41
UND Hryniuk (Wynne, Hogstein) 10:14
MTU Stevens 4 (Dupont, B. Peterson) 14:12 ppg
UND B.  Johnson (unassisted) 19:34

Penalties:

    MTU Perrett interference 1:45
    UND Wynne roughing 3:27
    MTU Harris roughing 3:27
    UND Hryniuk slashing 3:27
    UND Pivetz high stick 13:23
    UND Kirton roughing 14:39
    MTU Prokopetz interference 14:39
    UND C. Murphy roughing 16:03
    MTU J. Mikesch roughing 16:03
    MTU Prokopetz roughing 19:25
    MTU Prokopetz high stisck 19:25
    MTU Prokopetz 10 minute misconduct 19:25
    UND Naumenko roughing 19:25

Game Stars:

    3rd Star: Wynne
    2nd Star: J. Mikesch
    1st Star: B. Peterson

In my estimation, I would have awarded the stars differently.  Certainly
the players selected played well. Teeder Wynne was a good choice.
However, I would have given Figliomeni the 2nd star as he was the play
maker for MTU.  Jeff Mikesch got 2 goals and deserved the 1st star.  Based
on the radio's announcer's comments after the game, I would guess that
Brent was given the star  for the play during the previous game.  Brent
Peterson plays a fine game of hockey every night; but I thought there were
several other players (Pat Mikesch,  Randy Stevens, Dave Dupont, Andre
Savage and Jason Prokopetz) who were more deserving of star recognition.

All in all, a good game.  I was most happy to see MTU play 60 minutes of
hockey.  This got the usually dead crowd into the game during the third
period.

Walt Olson
MTU