From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 1994 15:23:28 +0000
Saturday, February 19, 1994.
Ingalls Rink, New Haven, CT
ECAC League Game

Union   1 1 1 - 3
Yale    1 0 0 - 1

Scoring:
1st Period:
1) Union, Jeff Jiampetti 9 (Albert, Holbrough) 6:27
2) Yale, Carpenter 4 (Kozic, Doyle) 16:41

2nd Period:
3) Union, Jon Sicinski 5 (Albert, Will) 2:04

3rd Period:
4) Union, Chris Ford 18 (Stevens, Monteith) 11:21 (pp)

Shots on Goal: Union 9-13-10--32, Yale 18-13-13--44.

Power Play: Union 1 of 2, Yale 0 of 4.

Goalies: Union, Luigi Villa, 4-1-1 (44 shots, 43 saves)
         Yale, Todd Sullivan, 4-13-1 (32 shots, 29 saves)

Attendance: 2010

The Dutchmen completed their first-ever ECAC weekend sweep with a 3-1
win at Yale.  The win all but clinches a playoff spot for Union, which
is now in 7th place in the league and riding a 5-game unbeaten streak.

Again, I only heard the end of the game on the radio, but clearly the
story of the night was Union's #2 goalie, Luigi Villa.  He stopped 43
of 44 shots (the radio said 49 of 50!), giving the Dutchmen 2 hot
goaltenders heading into the last 2 weeks of the season.  Rob C. at
Yale mentioned the disallowed Yale goal in the 2nd, but I can't add
anything since I didn't hear that part on the radio and there's no
mention of it in the paper.  As far as the scuffle in the end, the
same thing happened in a game last weekend- little fights (and one big
one) breaking out in the final seconds of play.  I don't know if it's
the Union players or the fact that the other teams are frustrated
after losing to a team which was picked to finish last in the league
by many.

Union is now 7-9-2 in the league and 11-9-3 overall.  They will try to
continue their success at Brown and Harvard next weekend.  They've
shown they can beat the teams in the bottom half of the league, but
we'll see what they can do against 2 of the top teams in the league on
the road.  One standings point over the next 4 games will clinch a
playoff spot for the Dutchmen, who have a decent shot at a home
playoff game now (7th and 8th place finishers in the ECAC host
preliminary round playoff games).

--
Jim Teresco, Department of Computer Science, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
[log in to unmask] (alternates: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask])