From:
James Love <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 91 20:31:57 EST
Jim Baines writes:
>I seem to recall watching the NCAA championship game when Bowling Green won
>it all. That was in the early-to-mid eighties....

Mike Machnik replies:
>Yes, I recall that BG-Duluth (4 OTs!) in 1984 was live on ESPN.  The games
>from 1985 to 1989 were all done live on ESPN along with some of the
>semifinals in the early years.  I have taped the national championship
>game every year since 1985 (wish I hadn't missed 1984!), along with some
>of the semifinals.

    I, and several friends, had blue-line seats for this game in the Olympic
Arena, and always rank it as THE most incredible hockey game any of us had
seen before or since (Well, maybe the 2 OT 10-9 thriller as UNH defeated
Cornell in the semi-finals of the 76-77 ECAC tournament would be first :-)).
But, we've always belived that the winning goal in the fourth OT (10 minutes,
too, not the wimpy 5 minute OTs in current use) was blatently off-sides, and
several friends who were watching back home on ESPN concurred, even though
the announcers made no mention of it.  As dominant as RPI was the following
year, we couldn't help feeling that first Duluth, then PC the next year, (as
has been recently discussed) was done in by officiating malfeasiance.  Well,
Mike can't check the tape, so would anyone else who was in Lake Placid in
1984 care to comment ??
							Cheers, Jim