Sender:
From:
Matthew Glaccum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 1994 01:30:21 -0700
From the Arizona Daily Star, January 15, 1993
by Robert Orman

HUTCHINGS, GOLTZ LEAD ICECATS

Steve Hutchings and Jeremy Goltz each scored three goals to lead the Arizona
IceCats to a 6-4 victory last night at Stanford, Calif.

The IceCats outshot Stanford 59-28, but trailed 3-2 late in the second period.

Goltz and Hutchings closed the period with a pair of goals to give Arizona the
lead for good.

"We were lackluster out of the chute," Arizona coach Leo Golembiewski said.

"The rigors of the road really hurt us...In fact, I think the whole team was a llittle mesmerized that when we left Phoenix a bunch of WWF wrestlers were in the
back of the plane."

Arizona, 15-1 and ranked second in the latest club hockey poll, resumes action
tonight when it plays Stanford [at Stanford] again at 8:30.

[end article]

Again, the 'Cats made the front page of the sports section with a nice feature
article (with picture) of Arizona's front line.  This was the second week in a
row that the IceCats made the front page of the Saturday sports section, and
they weren't even playing in Tucson.  BTW, that front line:  Kevin Oztekin, a
junior transfer from the U of Denver leads the team in scoring (18-31-49), Dan
Divjak (23-17-40), a senior second in scoring, and a freshman, Sam Battaglia,
(8-21-29), fifth in scoring.  Jeremy Goltz, a senior, (11-22-33), and Steve
Hutchings, a junior, (16-16-32) round out the top 5.

The IceCats are currently on their first roadtrip playing Stanford Friday and
Saturday nights and playing San Jose State Sunday morning.  Next weekend they
face #9 Michigan-Dearborn at the T.C.C. for a home-n-home series.

The Arizona schedule for the rest of the season:

1/28-29         Arizona State   at      Tempe
2/4-5           DePaul          at      Chicago
2/10-11         Colorado        at      Boulder
2/12            Colorado State  at      Ft. Collins
2/18-19         Minnesota[club] at      T.C.C.
2/25-26         Arizona State   at      T.C.C.
3/3-5           ACHA Nationals  at      Ames, Iowa

For once, I would like to see the 'Cats play a Div I team.  I am sure that the
Gophers wouldn't mind a trip to Tucson for an exhibition game :-) .  BTW, what
relationship, if any, does the club team have with the varsity program such as
at the University of Minnesota?  I know that there are several dual teams at
other places as well.  Also, there was a mention of scoring records this past
week.  I do not have access to a hockey record book; what IS the record for
goals scored in the game by anyone ( and points as well)?  Has a goalie ever
scored a goal?

Thanks in advance,

Matt Glaccum '92  RPI

Let's Go Red!