Sender:
From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 23:15:11 -0500
For Immediate Release
Contact Dave Geringer, Sports Information Director, (508) 990-9651  [log in to unmask]
Wednesday, February 1, 2006

UMASS DARTMOUTH HOLDS OFF SALVE REGINA, 4-3

NEW BEDFORD, MA– Freshman forward Chris Shore (West Haven, CT/Winchendon Academy) scored twice and the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth’s hockey team held off Salver Regina for a 4-3 victory in their ECAC Northeast Conference game at the Stephen Hetland Memorial Ice Arena Wednesday night.

Shore scored his first goal late in the second period to break a 1-all tie and put the Corsairs ahead for good. He tipped a pass from sophomore forward Paul Garabedian (Belmont, MA/Belmont HS) past SRU goaltender Ryan Comerford at 18:29 of the second period. Senior defenseman D.J. Aucoin (Marlboro, MA/Waltham HS) also assisted.

His second goal was the eventual game-winner. It came at 9:06 of the third period as he took a pass from Garabedian in front of the net and scored six seconds after a Seahawk penalty had expired.

Salve Regina struck first, scoring the only goal of the first period. Ryan Doyle deflected Jake Noonan’s slap shot from the point past UMass Dartmouth freshman goaltender Jon Dryjowicz-Burek (Ludlow, MA/Springfield Jr. Falcons) just 20 seconds before the end of the first period. Conor McCahill also assisted on the power play goal, which ended the Corsairs’ streak of 48 consecutive penalties killed.

Sophomore forward Jeff Grant (Burlington, MA/Austin prep) tied it for the Corsairs, scoring at 1:31 of the second period. Junior forwards Jim Foley (Brockton, MA/Catholic Memorial HS) and Kyle McCullough (Danvers, MA/Boston Jr. Blackhawks) assisted.

Senior forward P.J. Lovett made it 4-1, UMD, when he converted a pass from senior forward Mike McPherson (Chelsea, MA/Brewster Academy) at 3:53 of the third period.

Burek was replaced by freshman goaltender Jeff Green (Medway, MA/Valley Jr. Warriors) early in the third period. Mike Mallette scored a shorthanded goal for SRU at 8:05, and Conor McCahill scored on a wrap-around with 11 seconds remaining to account for the final score.

“Our fourth line cam through, and scored two beautiful goals,” said UMass Dartmouth Head Coach John Rolli. “We didn’t get off to a good start, we were ineffective in the first period, but we played better in the second and third periods. We’re down to a five-game season, and we have to keep winning.”

UMass Dartmouth improved to 16-4-0 and 9-1 in the ECAC Northeast Conference with the victory, winning their 12th game in a row and 13th in their last 14 games. Salve Regina fell to 6-9-3 and 4-4-2 in ECAC Northeast play. The Corsairs will return to action when they visit Franklin Pierce Saturday evening.

UMASS DARTMOUTH HOCKEY

BOX SCORE

Salve Regina					1	0	2-3
UMass Dartmouth       			0	2	2-4

FIRST PERIOD

1, SRU – Ryan Doyle (Jake Noonan, Conor McCahill) 19:40 PPG

SECOND PERIOD

2, UMD –Jeff Grant (Jim Foley, Kyle McCullough) 1:31
3, UMD – Chris Shore (Paul Garabedian, D.J. Aucoin) 18:29

THIRD PERIOD

4, UMD – P.J. Lovett (Mike McPherson) 3:53
5, SRU – Mike Mallette (Mike Kravchuk, Zach Sufilka) 8:05 SHG
6, UMD – Chris Shore (Paul Garabedian) 9:06
7, SRU – Conor McCahill (Dan Conley, Ryan Doyle) 19:52 PPG

SHOTS: SRU- 29 ; UMD -34.
SAVES: SRU – Ryan Comerford, 20; UMD – Jon Dryjowicz-Burek, 22; Jeff Green, 4, Total, 26.
PENALTIES/MINUTES:  SRU – 3/6 ; UMD – 6/12.
POWER-PLAY GOALS/OPPORTUNITIES:  SRU- 2/6; UMD – 0/3.