Sender:
From:
Rita-Ann Monde <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:56:54 -0500
7bit
from the dunkin donut center in providence ri, the golden gophers
exploded in the 3rd period to beat the crimson 6-2.

So even though their boys got knocked out today, hopefully gopher fans
can put that disappointment aside and focus on celebrating their lady
gophers.
I apologize in advance for the lack of details and spelling errors,.. i
was working while listening to the game. Thanks to those of you who
confirmed the audio links for the game. I listened on whrb, and i
thought their announcers did a fine job.

Harvard apparently had opened the scoring, but the goal was disallowed
(not sure why, possibly a whistle for a minnesota penalty, but
disallowed goal was scored on a rebound that at least to my ear,
minnesota didn't have control of).
Harvard did eventually go up 1-0, but the gophers tied it at 1 before
the first intermission.
Harvard pulled ahead on the pp (nicole correiro-sp?) from ruggerio. The
other harvard blueliner (maccallum?) made a stellar play keeping the
puck in the zone that allowed the goal to happen.
however, the gophers again tied it at the end of the period. and i
think this was the goal scored on a 3-2 in which all 3 gopher forwards
touched the puck. it must have been pretty to watch.
in the 3rd the gophers (darwitz) came out and scored 9 seconds into the
period and never looked back. they got the 4th goal shortly
thereafter.
Darwitz had a hattrick. and the harvard goalie ally bows made several
big saves early in the game.
As a cornellian, it is hard for me to say this, but i was rooting for
harvard to win this game, especially after the tough way they lost last
year's championship game at UMD. I remember watching harvard's Julie
Chu at the boys silver stick tourney in quebec about 10 years ago, and
also at the brampton canadettes tourney-also about 8-10 years ago. And
I really like watching angela ruggerio play.

I don't know what the final attendance was, but harvard's announcers
made it sound like there was a very good crowd, and many of them in
crimson. glad to hear that their women's team apparently gets more
support then the men's hockey team.

Let's Go Red
Rita-Ann Monde
Trinity College 1991